D40 St worth buying or still a problem?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyd40

Reaction score
Hi all, i thought i might throw this out there to some D40 owners for your opinions. I am about to buy a D40 ST Auto brand new and am trying to figure out whether Nissan have got on top of a number of issues this model seems to be plagued by.

How has your 'D40' experience been and how has Nissan treated issues once the arise?

your comments would be most helpful.

also the guys at Roo Systems have recommended a 3'' system and chip package for a claimed 30%power 30%torque gain to get it moving and give a bit better economy (depending how you drive it of course) has any one brought on of these kits, and how is it going.

Thanks guys.

This is only my opinion, theres better ways to spend your money then Roo Systems. No way in the real world will you see 30%

Hi Jimmy

I have a ST D40 AUTO - 20000klms on the clock now. Have had no problems at all.

I also do not know of any issues with the ST D40. What issues do you mean?

Some of the STs had issues with the turbo control valve. Causes flutter and surging, and makes tap-tap noises. Nissan replace the item under warranty.

I thought it was only the early 2010 models that had the problem.

thanks guys. Yeah I thought 30% gains for 2k sounded a bit too good to be true.
the problems i was hearing of, or more so that you read of are:
Fuel pumps
timing chains
clutches
suspension etc. but perhaps these have all been sorted now.

The 2007 & 2008 D40s had clutch issues. Perhaps early 2009s as well.

Timing chains and fuel pumps? Don't recall seeing much about those. There have been issues with air in the pumps, but usually caused by someone replacing the fuel filter and not replacing the o-rings, or not tightening things up right, or letting the fuel system run dry and not priming it properly.

Mmmm, have a look at the 4WD Action mag a couple of issues ago, BIG chip test, some good results. I can't recommend anything as I'm a V6 junkie.:sarcastic:

In that test (3lt ranger) roo got 5% more power and 13% more torque at engine. Is that worth the extra high temps and fuel consumption and cost? then theres the warranty issue....

the timing chains and pumps comes from a site called complaints corner. if you google navara problems it comes up. sounds like a particular group of disgruntled people though...

Hi Woznme, yeah thats a long way off the claim eh? they reckon they have dyno sheets to back it up.
maybe worth the money if it came with a guarantee.

I went through that site before I picked up my Navara. I was focused on the Navara and after I'd finished, I thought I was spending over $60K on a car that would arrive with no wheels, holes in the floor that I could put my legs and stand up so that I had a means of propulsion, windscreen wipers on the inside so I could make brooom-brooom noises and still see where I was going and, best of all, a pair of BRAND new occy straps to hold the doors shut.

I then looked at other makes. Commodores were arriving without their jet turbines installed, Ford Falcons were missing their flippers and scuba apparatus. Toyota Camrys didn't have solar sails for deep space voyages and the mighty Suzuki Swift shipped from the factory without its periscope.

That site is targeting problems. There's no "good news" side. People go there to have a whinge.

If there are 20,000 Nissans sold and 47 people have written on that site, and maybe another 100 that have not found the site - that's still a lot of satisfied customers.

I can't say I've had a bad run with mine. The Lego(TM) bonnet strap isn't my most favourite of features but I understand why it's there. Apart from that, my car's been a dream.

Really, any manufacturer can make duds. If the car speaks to you, then it's the one for you.

I bought an early R51 Pathfinder and had a few problems with it - the clutch was the main one that I thought was Nissan "letting me down" But they didn't let me down and offered a replacement which i never went through with as I traded it on a Patrol instead.

Now I have a D40 as I finally bought SWMBO her own wagon to drive so I'm allowed a ute :D I test drove just about everything, and ended up back in (mechanically) the same car I first bought 5 years ago. If that doesn't say something, I'm really not sure what does.

BTW, do a search for Triton, Ranger or Hilux, and you will find just as many whingers about the same sorts of things. Whingers are heard on the net - satisfied customers usually aren't

-Edit-

Don't forget the power of the troll. Do a search for a douche that posted on here a few weeks ago claiming that every Navara was suffering engine failures and basically just stiring up shit. Maybe he had a bad experience with a Navara, maybe he was a hilux or BT50 fanboy trying to porve his vehicle was best. Who knows. Who cares? Just remember to take everything you read on the net with a big grain of salt.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys, those responses were funny as, but also make a lot of sense.
There is always going to be complainers that blow things out of proportion.
I am glad you guys have had a good run and it gives me reassurance I made the right choice.
Pick it up next Friday, so looking forward to it now.

I have an ST and the only problem ive had with mine is the turbo control solinoid and the valve which is being replaced by nissan today under warranty after being off the road for 3 weeks which is ok because they told me first up that the parts were on back order and i probibly wouldnt get it back until after christmas . Mine is the first of the ST,s (january)build .

at least d40 is better than d22 ... LOL

I've had my D40 RX Manual (sept, 09 build) for over a year now. And have not had anything factory std go wrong on it. I've had a couple of issues with the aftermarket stuff that the dealer fitted for me - but they (the local dealer) have always worked hard at even getting that fixed for me.

I have no complaints about my D40 dual cab, or even my wifes 2007 stx X-trail.

Latest posts

Back