D40 sunroof problem.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondante

Reaction score
Hello. After searching around the forum and Internet without success, I'm asking you guys for help with this.

I opened the sunroof motor and lubed it with silicone grease and oil. I'ts supposed to be good for electronic stuff and plastic gears. Bad mistake... Now it's working but unable to reset, so only goes open and shut at desire when pushing the closing button, looking for setting up the closing and opening. Doing what I found in the Internet doesn't walk and the workshop manual says nothing about it. I'm about to buy a new motor/servo to see if that solves the issue but is a shame as it's working, just that it's not resetting at all after being without energy for too long.

Thanks.

Hello. After searching around the forum and Internet without success, I'm asking you guys for help with this.

I opened the sunroof motor and lubed it with silicone grease and oil. I'ts supposed to be good for electronic stuff and plastic gears. Bad mistake... Now it's working but unable to reset, so only goes open and shut at desire when pushing the closing button, looking for setting up the closing and opening. Doing what I found in the Internet doesn't walk and the workshop manual says nothing about it. I'm about to buy a new motor/servo to see if that solves the issue but is a shame as it's working, just that it's not resetting at all after being without energy for too long.

Thanks.
Maybe time to reopen it, clean some of the excess grease and oil and reinstall.

Im thinking it would have a open/shut limiter that senses when to stop in an automatic open close mode - if thats covered in grease or oil then it can't sense what it needs - therefore doesn't want to work

Hello. Actually I've done that with all the sunroof. All the mechanics and motor and rails are full clean and just oiled and greased enough, not in excess at all. Is full clean and it moves very smoothly, like new. But for some reason the motor is not reseting the end stops, which are controlled electronically. I am doing the process shown in some places in internet, but they are not working. I need to know that process that should be done whenever disconnecting the battery. With windows is just got full up and full down and the automatic function works properly, but I don't know if what I'm doing is what it should be done in order to reseting those end stops so the closing and all the movements works automatically and properly.

Maybe time to reopen it, clean some of the excess grease and oil and reinstall.

Im thinking it would have a open/shut limiter that senses when to stop in an automatic open close mode - if thats covered in grease or oil then it can't sense what it needs - therefore doesn't want to work
I'm sure it hasn't endstops but an amp meter that says when it's at the very end, just like the windows. It also uses this to stop if something is holding the window, like a finger or arm, so it's not, for sure, any particular sensor but an programmed amp limit that is verified electronically.

What is the reset process that you are trying?

I've had my battery disconnected plenty of times - I haven't ever needed to reset the roof.

What is the reset process that you are trying?

I've had my battery disconnected plenty of times - I haven't ever needed to reset the roof.

Mine have been for months without battery, so now is in "limp mode" waiting for reset. In the workshop manual I have these instructions that are not working:

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

If the sunroof does not close or open automatically, use the following procedure to return sunroof operation to normal.

1. Press the switch to the UP/CLOSE position to tilt the sunroof up fully. When the sunroof reaches the full tilt up position it will back up a few millimeters and stop.

2. Release the UP/CLOSE switch.

3. Within 5 seconds of releasing the UP/CLOSE switch, press and hold the UP/CLOSE switch again. The sunroof will move to the full open position and back to the closed position.

NOTE:

If the UP/CLOSE switch is released anytime during this teaching process, all learned profile data will be discarded and the procedure will have to be started over.

4. Release the UP/CLOSE switch. Do not disconnect power for at least two seconds. The sunroof is now initialized and taught.

Initializing procedure is complete. Confirm proper operation of the sunroof (slide open, slide closed, tilt up, tilt down).

Anyways I'm trying all this again to see if I'm just dumb or something and I'll tell you if it works.

Anyways I'm trying all this again to see if I'm just dumb or something and I'll tell you if it works.

I wouldn't think that anything less than no power would make a huge difference - ive been wrong before.

Thanks for sharing that info, nothing I've seen before ( I guess because I haven't needed it)

Let us know how you get on - I guess my tips for that would be read thru it more than a couple times so your well practices so there's no hesitation on any of your timing

I wouldn't think that anything less than no power would make a huge difference - ive been wrong before.

Thanks for sharing that info, nothing I've seen before ( I guess because I haven't needed it)

Let us know how you get on - I guess my tips for that would be read thru it more than a couple times so your well practices so there's no hesitation on any of your timing

I've done a lot of things to my Navara because I like it a lot, and one of the worst errors was to use silicone oil into electronic parts. Never, ever do it. Just keep it on with the WD40 and similar ones. Also never use thread glue in inserted threads, even worse if those inserts are into plastic.

Sounds logic and obvious but I did it automatically without thinking and now the female threads of the sunroof motor cannot be taken out without dissasembling all the damn sunroof fixing out of the truck.

I just tried again the instructions but it gets stuck at the very end of opened and doesn't move from there, I had to use the manual way to close it again. I'll buy that motor and fix it all and get back with the news about it.

That manual way is taking off the light/sunglasses thing (sunglasses pocket side comes off first) and putting a 4mm allen key in a hole hidden behind the sticker (just cut or punch it) that allows you to rotate the gear that moves the sunroof.

Latest posts

Back