D40 turbo problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally C

Reaction score
I have a 2010 D40 ST Navara. From new it has been surging / pulsating on like acceleration from take-off. This fault also occurs around 100kMh on a level roadway. Nissan mechanics tell me this is a common turbo problem, Nissan wont help..any advice !!!!:pissedoff:

Mate I have a 2010 D40 ST also and its at nissan as we speak with the same problem... What did they say to you exactly? Mine is in there under warranty but it has 99 000kms on it... Hoping they can fix it!

Ahh I slightly missread your post, i thought you said its a common problem at around 100 000kms meaning kms on the odomoter. Mine only does it on take off sometimes when its cold... never does it at speed... hmmm

I believe that they wont fix it !!! They have just fobbed me off for 2 1/2 years with this..This problem started when I drove it out of the yard with 10kms on the clock.... the Nissan mechanics secretly admit the problem is real but Nissan have just responded with "at this stage the concern is considered a characteristic of the vehicle under certain operating conditions ..I have numerous emails from Nissan regarding this issue. At one stage there were 4 Navara's at the Wangara dealership with the same problem. They have had my car about 8 times but I feel that Nissan are just waiting for the warranty to run out. I have spoken to Consumer Affairs who say that they feel I have a case to pursue and they are willing to get involved if needs be...I am just hoping to find other Navara owners with the same problem...Good luck !!!! Please let me know how you get on..maybe we can find others with the same problem and fight Nissan as a group

Just read your last message...the problem happens mostly at take-off but also occurs when sitting on a constant speed of around 100kMh ..this is sometimes hard to repeat at 100kmh because it only happens at a constant speed with no acceleration (ie: cruising on a flat section of the freeway ) .they tell me that it is a resonance issue when the turbo is switching between boost stages of the twin stage turbo...blah, blah, blah...I don't care what it is, I just want it fixed..I have had people in my car asking me what the noise is and at times it has been so bad at 100kMh that I have thought I had a flat tyre..Nissan know it is a problem..they are just hoping that I will give up and accept it...NOT LIKELY !!!!

That sucks to hear your having bad service with nissan! I just picked mine up, they couldn't get it to do the problem.... I rang them last week to book it in and it was doing it bad every day, but of course since then it hasn't done it to me once. It seems really on and off with mine. Seeing as my warranty is basically out now (99 200 odd kms on the clock) I asked what I can do from now on if the problem comes back, they said let them know and they will take it up with nissan... So I basically just have to wait and see!

You need to keep onto them..they know of this problem..if you don't have enough complaint history prior to your warranty expiring then you will have no chance of getting any help from Nissan. They say they will "take it up with Nissan !!" ????? The dealerships have a thing they call 'The Nissan Tech Line' that they send their technical queries to...they have already done this with my vehicle several times ( and I am sure I am not the only one ) but they just give the same lame response of 'considered a characteristic of the vehicle under certain operating conditions... ..CRAP... THEY KNOW IT IS A PROBLEM...THEY JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX IT CHEAPLY !! I think Consumer Affairs is the only option left for me

(Nissan mechanics tell me this is a common turbo problem) they have admitted it your ute is still under warranty by the sound of that they have to fix it maybe you need to secretly record on of there mechanics telling you that

Yeh..some time ago I actual got a Nissan service manager to admit that the problem is real..after suggesting that they get one of their mechanics to come to the counter and see if he could lie to me they actually admitted that they had 4 Navaras at that dealership alone with the same problem. I don't know what the outcome was with those vehicles...maybe the owners just gave up or the problem went away....the issue now is that the "head office' reply is that it is not detrimental to the engine or vehicle and they just expect me to put up with it !!! I need to get Consumer Affairs involved and as many other Navara owners as I can...I know I am not alone with this problem ...it is not getting any better and that doesn't make it easy to sell

Back