D40 YD25 Turbo upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirnixalot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just posting up a little conversion i am doing. Basically the factory turbo oil seals went so instead of paying premium for a new Nissan/Garrett turbo i decided to upgrade to a GTi-R T28 turbo.

This required some welding and fabrication but all in all not terribly hard.

mini-DSCF1592.jpg

Stock manifold with T-25 flange welded onto it

mini-DSCF1597.jpg

Turbo in place for mocking up intake and intercooler piping

mini-DSCF1599.jpg

Shot from below the turbo

mini-DSCF1618.jpg

Stock coolant feed location

mini-DSCF1616.jpg

modified stock oil drain line (welded the tubing to the GTi-R drain flange

mini-DSCF1619.jpg

2.25" aluminum IC piping on the cold side

IMG00167-20090722-0709.jpg

Modified stock MAF housing with cone filter and 3" intake (K&N intake kit on order as this one looks a little ghetto)

I have the rest of the fittings and exhaust parts in my hand so i will post up pictures when i get home to my camera

What RPM do you expect it to come on boost at ?

Will be watching this thread.

Cool build.

Dave.

thanks for the positive replies guys!

Unfortunately we do not have a dyno on island so i will have no power figures, the only thing i can offer is my truck ran an 1/8 mile of 11.46 before. I will get comparisons whenever the track reopens.

it seems i need to fit a 3" bend in 3" of room....imfarkingpossible
mini-DSCF1657.jpg

mini-DSCF1644.jpg

sigh, i will have to basically just reuse the flange from the V-band adapter and get something fabricated

mini-DSCF1639.jpg

Actuator being fed its boost signal directly from the compressor housing, had to cut and bend the actuator bracket to get it angled just right

mini-DSCF1656.jpg

shot of the block fittings/lines

Love it, so good to see someone have a totally new way of upping the HP, keep it coming?

PS see much of Crock Dundee getting about? Top bloke dodging taxes like that!

didn't realize he was out this way lol...no i haven't seen him

ive given the T-28 to V band adapter and the 90* bend to my fabricator and have explained to him how the flange is oriented, he will basically remove the vband flange part and weld the bend straight on to make it 1 solid piece, that should get me the clearance i need along with removing the fire wall insulation near the bend and using the DEI heat reflective tape in that area.

My fabricator friend is my hero...claims he is on some low carb diet so he wants money instead of beer.....NO idea whats wrong with him lol. Basically he cut the vband flange off the turbine outlet adapter and tack welded the 90* on there for me to test fit (make sure its pointing down) and it fits like a glove :D

Hopefully if he is my hero he will finish the weld tonight so i can install it and drive the truck tomorrow :)

I did some regular maintenance in the mean time. Not that it needed it as the oil and filter was done less than 6 weeks ago but i figure it wouldn't hurt i drained the oil and flushed it with a few quarts of Texaco Ursa Premium TDX 15w40, then filled it up with 7qts of the same.

Drained the coolant and refilled with Texaco Prediluted 50/50 mix green coolant

Cleaned and relubed all the heim joints on my suspension and coilovers.

Cant wait to fire it up and check for leaks :)

mini-DSCF1662.jpg

kept the stock coolant feed setup the same, the line T's between the upper coolant outlet, turbo and a lower port on the block

mini-DSCF1660.jpg

the oil feed line i got was a little long but i would rather that than too short, if anyone will be attempting this in future, use a 3 foot feed line not a 4 foot

mini-DSCF1659.jpg

shot of the DEI protective hose sleeving

mini-DSCF1658.jpg

all the vacuum hoses all zip tied up and as need as possible

I will not be using the stock solenoid at the moment, i am not sure if this will throw a code, if so i will be plumbing it back in to see how it functions

bad news :( seems it was more than just the OEM turbo's oil seals, its still smoking like MAD

anyone know of a good dealership or supplier over there who can supply me with pistons, piston rings and a head gasket kit?

The nissan dealership here sucks lol

well at the advise of the head mechanic at the place i work at he said to disconnect the turbo from the exhaust manifold and start the truck

NO SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD!!!! engine is fine :) just need a new turbo....again :( i have no luck with them it seems lol

will keep you guys posted when the new one arrives

Back