d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bricki

Reaction score
hi everyone i am new to this forum and need help. i am looking at buying a d40 appx. 05 06 07 08 09 vintage. now my problem is i have seen about 20 -25 cars all with appx. 100000 now at least 5 or 6 have had another motor put in due to timming chain or oil pump bolt comming off or something else i find this alarming it seems a high percentage of major motor repairs. is it a common thing with these cars or have i just been un lucky in the ones i have seen. if serviced properly are they good cars regards tony

Welcome to the forums. First thing to do is ignore forums. Every car has a certain number of people who will report every issue and bitch and moan about every little thing.

There is no denying that there have been issues in Nissan's and there is heaps of threads on this forum that show things from minor to major issues but the number of failures definitely isn't huge compared to the 3000 Nav's per month that get sold in this country.

There's been a few recalls on the Nav's in the range, they are listed in their own threads on this site, and there is a few niggling issues people have but overall you look after it and it seems to look after you.

Welcome to the forum.

+1 on Krafty's advice. Forums aren't the only place to experience this phenomena - it happens everywhere. People will complain loudly when something isn't working right, but hardly say a word when it's doing what it's supposed to.

If you take the car for a drive and like it, and it does what you want it to do, then weigh it up against all the others that appealed.

A well-serviced vehicle that is cared for will probably give you very little headache. The same is true of most makes.

Good luck with your choice.

I love my D40 though if you want to read up more there is a magazine out called 'off-Road Utes' which has a good write up on the utes including the D40 though it mentions that people are getting 15-16l/100 though I'm getting 10-11 in mine.

It also mentions that there has been no major inherent faults with them.

Good luck with your search

I wouldn't trust any mag to accurately report the fuel economy of a vehicle, one because they are usually written by idiots but two because they usually rely on figures they aren't distinctive of all like vehicles just the one person they talked to.

If the 15-16l/100 was in off road mode that's a pretty good figure, 2 minutes research on the net however will show plenty of people who are getting well under that figure on the road, but would a magazine writer bother spending 2 minutes researching a story, probably unlikely.

For the record my 09 D40 returned figures of 10.4 heading to the big smoke (SE Carpark, Punt Hoddle, Vic Pde) today and on the way out (Vic Pde Hoddle Punt SE Carpark) in the arvo peak I got 9.9. It's not a huge difference but it surprised me that even a steadily moving peak hour crawl out of the city I was able to get under 10 by not driving like all those other morons who want to drive accelerator brake accelerator brake.

15-16LPHK is typical of the V6 4.0L petrol engine. The diesel returns around 10LPHK (I am talking highway cycle here, standard vehicle, standard tyres, not towing).

I wish magazines would make things clearer. Too often they'll grab a figure and use it, regardless of whether it's realistic for the range or not. Sometimes that's bias - places like 4WD Action seem to like Toyotas more than other brands - it's probably to do with their funding too, so they HAVE to (or at the very least they feel obligated to) make their 'sponsor' vehicles look better than the competition.

Can you imagine what would happen to 4WD Action's funding if they suddenly turned around and told the truth about the Hilux? Always bear that in mind when reading anything from a particular source. There will almost ALWAYS be some agenda, or bias, involved. This works even here - and in this very post - I drive and enjoy my Navara! I also get 10.6LPHK on the highway (2700kg, 4 adults, Newcastle to Melbourne, 95km/h peak speed).

krafty and old tony are right on the money,few people get onto forums to say that their car is running fine with no problems, so on average they're broken down into two groups, the person who needs help to fix a certain problem, and the people who want to tell and show what they have and what can be done. it's the same as being at work or at home, you'll always get a kick up the bum for doing something wrong, but rarely get praise for getting it right.
on my 06 d40 auto with the original 255 tires, i could get down to as low as 7.5k/l on a highway unloaded at 100klm/hr. i now run 265's, so the accuracy would out a bit, but i get on average around the 10k/l of mostly brisbane city driving. while mine has it's share of niggles, i can live with them, and the engine has'nt missed a beat so far.

The fuel figure posted in that mag are way off base, I personally do only get about 15L/100km BUT! I also run 285/75/16's (33's). Also your speedo is set over the speed your doing. So if your doing 55km/h, your speedo will say 60km/h, so that when you put bigger tyres on it brings your speedo into being more accurate and not over.

I have heard talk about the timing chain problem, but timing chains don't just up and snap all of a sudden, there's usually warnings first. They rattle and make noises, so if you look after it and regular serviced the chances are you or the mechanic will find it before it snaps.

Last edited:
I have heard talk about the timing chain problem, but timing chains don't just up and snap all of a sudden, there's usually warnings first. They rattle and make noises, so if you look after it and regular serviced the chances are you or the mechanic will find it before it snaps.

That's an issue that seems to be coming up a bit more these days, I still wouldn't say it's common, or that the majority of YD's suffer such fate but there is still a few people suggesting it's happened.

Now if only there was proof that any of the after market fixes lasted as long or longer than the repair Nissan would do if they did the repair with genuine parts. It's all good and well to have after market options but if Nissan can repair the car just as well is there a gain. (sorry rhetorical question only, mod makers need not get bitchy at me for questioning their abilities)

I bought the off road utes magazine mentioned earlier recently. Not a bad read but keep in mind their data is always a few months old so useless if you want the very latest information. I bought the latest issue as it had d40 reviews and they still haven't caught on to the fact that the ST now has the 140kw motor and still refer to the new models as having the 120kw motor. I enquired and their leadtimes are 3 months, they offered me some stickers and a beer cooler as compensation which never arrived.

We seem to be dismissing the timing chain fault as only the people that want to complain about it but I think the point that Bricki is making is that he has first hand seen that 5 or 6 out of the 20 he has inspected, actually have had the issue. Not every owner is here on the forums so we probably don't hear about alot of them. Would be interesting to find out exactly what percentage of them end up experiencing this very costly fault. Hopefully something they may have fixed in the later models but good luck finding out from Nissan. When I was purchasing mine I was trying to get some information on what kind of flywheel Nissan uses and I could not find anyone at Nissan that could give me any written proof that the flywheel was larger in the later models even though they were stating it over the phone. So I went auto.

Last edited:
We seem to be dismissing the timing chain fault as only the people that want to complain about it but I think the point that Bricki is making is that he has first hand seen that 5 or 6 out of the 20 he has inspected, actually have had the issue.

No one is dismissing the "timing chain fault", there is proof that it has happened in some YD25 engines, what is yet to be proven is whether it's a fault that may have wide repercussions in all YD25's or if it only happens in some of them due to any number of reasons.

What is also yet to be proven is whether any related after market modification either before or after such a problem is any stronger or better than what Nissan offer.

Not every owner is here on the forums so we probably don't hear about alot of them.

That works both ways, not every owner is on the forums and with an average of 3000 of these things sold every month for the last 18 months (VFACT figures) if roughly a quarter (5-6 out of 20) of all those cars had such an issue there would there would be atleast 13000 pissed of Navara owners out there in this country alone. Those kind of figures would be hard to hide even for Nissan.

So again while the problem has existed in some YD's, and it's not just D40's, widely proven, common or even highly likely as some other forums have suggested is not really an accurate way of describing the problem.

As the government once told us. Be alert not alarmed

G, day brikie,

Welcome aboard,fear no beer. If you attend any of the Navara outings or musters over the next few years, please remember, the only stick you should have in your hand is "Low range" .

PS, enjoy the forum !

Regards,

RLI
:shooter:

Back