dealer or private?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomHogan

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Im looking at buying a second hand 05/06 VZ SS sedan in the near future..

Having only ever bought privately and with outright cash, whats the best way to purchase it? This one ill either finance it or get a loan from a bank but still not sure weather to buy it from a dealer or go through a private seller.

Suggestions?

I never buy privately. You get SOMEWHAT more "insurance" buying from a dealer. And the finance rate is generally a fair bit cheaper than a bank loan.

Plus dealers will generally throw in extended warranty for sweet f/a. Private sales hold a fair bit more risk IMO.

Buy from Nissan, Holden, Ford etc etc, it will be generally easier to get things fixed under warranty or replaced than it will getting into a shitfight or legal issues with a private seller.

Financing through the car yard may have a cheaper rate but there is only one reason any dealer offers finance and it's not for the good of the customer. Second hand dealer financing could easily be an even bigger minefield given second hand dealers tactics. I've heard some terrible finance stories over the years but with the amount of people choosing it as a first option now maybe the process has improved.

Id only finance a used car through Nissan for example, not one of those independant second hand dealerships. Never had a problem with a used car from Nissan or Holden. You only ever hear about the horror stories.

Id only ever bought second hand cars private cause dealers prices are so much dearer, well they were in the last 18mnths dealers prices have improved massivly imo. Half the time now private sales are chasing more than the dealers. just my opinion Id probly buy from a caryard thee days

thanks for the info guys, keep it coming!
i won't be buying it until may/june when i finish 1RTU in the air force.

Around 20-25grand seems to be the price of a manual one with less then 100,000 on the clock

Ever owned an LS1 before? Best fun you will ever have. Just before my D40 i had a 260rwkw S2 VY SS ute. Had the works! Was so much bloody fun and sounded evil too. I got rid of it though. Approaching the age of 30, constant attention from mr plod just gets really old, really quick. Two EPA notices for it being two loud, then got pulled over and defected for the OTR intake and too loud. Cleared the defect (it "passed" a roadworthy), and got rid of it.

As mentioned above I would only buy from a dealer because a little warranty is better than none and most of the time they piss the dodgy cars off to wholesalers

Ever owned an LS1 before? Best fun you will ever have. Just before my D40 i had a 260rwkw S2 VY SS ute. Had the works! Was so much bloody fun and sounded evil too. I got rid of it though. Approaching the age of 30, constant attention from mr plod just gets really old, really quick. Two EPA notices for it being two loud, then got pulled over and defected for the OTR intake and too loud. Cleared the defect (it "passed" a roadworthy), and got rid of it.

I havent owned one, but ive driving my mates one a couple of times. his is a vz with a mafless tune, extractors and exhaust. i dont think its up to 260kw though.. i think its more around 230 possibly? but im not 100% sure...
fuel consumption is amazing on the highway consdiering its a v8, gets between 7-9L per 100. pretty excited.

They are friggin great on fuel, only problem is, with so much torque under your right foot, its too hard to drive one conservatively lol. But when you do, definantly!

haha yeahh, we were hitting limiter in first going 90kmh... it was the best fun i have had in a long time haha

i might have to take you with me as my haggler.
I just tell them to get real if they can't do 10% minimum off the sticker price I just go somewhere else, bit harder with used cars but they want to sell you a car so eventually come around, gotta remember most of them trade the things for like $7-9000 less then the sale price so there is a huge margin there for price movement, if you got a trade in valuation for your D22 I bet it would be like $12k then a week later you would drive past and it would be $22k sticker price.

Had one dealer once tell me that the sticker price was the best they could do because they could hardly afford to keep the lights on as it was :blasign: this was a guy at Garry Crick autogroup (pretty big up here in QLD).

I've bought second hand through both dealer and private. No problems with either as long as you do your research and know your values.

On the finance side of things, I work as a finance broker. Feel free to pm me to check on any deal you are offered. Happy to let you know if you are getting a good deal or getting ripped off.

good to know bullwinkle, I am looking at buying a gutlux and will need to get finance so may pm you, that is unless it was exclusive to the OP?

I bought a car privately about 3 years ago. Less than a year old, under 40k km and all was well until I hit a kangaroo in it and went to have it repaired under insurance. As soon as they started pulling panels off it you could see where it had been in a massive smash before and had been backyard chop shop repaired. Insurance told us the pre existing damage wasn't covered and in their opinion it couldn't be adequately repaired. They paid us out a small about for the kangaroo damage, cancelled our insurance and sent us packing.

I had heard the horror stories too and thought yeah what are the chances but let me tell you when you lose that kind of money it's very ****ing stressful and leads to many sleepless night. Very bad for your health.....

Latest posts

Back