Decided on a D40 - RX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper

Reaction score
Finally decided on a new D40 Dual cab chassis RX with Cruise Control, factory rubber mats were already in it from a cancelled gov dept order, a Duratray alloy "elite series" tray (my choice instead of the dealer offered AMA tray) with ladder racks = drive away $38100

A tray back had always been the preferred option, and i had almost given up on finding a D40 tray back new... Mrs was keen on a D40 from the start, it was me with the money that was doubtful we could make it work for the money.

Trading in the Triton GL single cab (ML 2007) 1 tonner on Saturday morning in Brisbane :)

High on the list of accs after the fact will be:
Rubber tray mat (holed type)
Catch can (doing the home work now)
Window tinting
Steel bull bar (winch capable, with highlift jacking points)
Tow bar
Alloy Side steps

Hoping to meet up with a few forumites around Darling Downs area soon.

Rubber matting for the tray = check $70 /lineal m
(Holey type heavy duty rubber) from Shelley's Industries in Warwick, so i can drop it into the new tray on pickup :) from the dealer.

Good choice mate. Had my dual cab RX since 2008 done 55000 kms with no issues yet. take care of her

nice buy mate.
If you are looking into catch cans, check out the "PROVENT"
I have seen a few people on here with them, and apparently they are the best.

Thanks for the welcomes guys. Pickup is Saturday 18th Feb morning.
The Duratray looks the excellent in the picks the office lass sent me.
Just the hand-over of the Triton (ML) 1 tonner and good times will roll on :)

Put the new D40 up on axle stands today and went to town with a can of Fisholene to stop any rust spots that had started from the transport chains etc, light surface rust on welds that had popped its head through the black coating, or basically i did any weld i could see, and any overlapped panels/plates.
The smell will be gone in a week or so, but the protection will last a long time :)
I found what i suspect to be a Thai label on an under-carriage part near the engine.
VIN # starts with "MNTVCUD40A"
Built: 09 Nov 2011

RX are the way to go, I was sick of electric windows in my patrol playing up sp I went RX so they were winders instead.

iv'e got two rx's one is an 06 set up for the bush and towing the other 08 one carts the kids and the shoping around good car

RX are the way to go, I was sick of electric windows in my patrol playing up sp I went RX so they were winders instead.[/QU

All windows in the Navara RX are electric.
Not sure how much extra your tray etc is worth but i only paid $33700 for a dual cab ute back with tauneo, rubber mats F&R, nudge bar & driving lights. Apparently i paid way less than i was suppose to but thats there problem now.

Yep, that's an awesome price for a Dual cab style side.
But i am happy that i got the best deal i could at the time :)

Windows are now tinted, with a top windscreen strip and two child seat mounts fitted and compliance plated.
Now to bolt on the two under-tray tool boxes i have kept from my Triton 1 tonner, and to sell the other two that bolted in front of the rear wheels :)

Update on progress of the ute towards the goal for now...
ARB Deluxe b'bar fitted last Thursday in Toowoomba - i got the installers to return to me all bolts and fasteners and such from the factory plastic bar (some i salvaged myself from the cut off bar that was in the dumpster), store manager stated he will return the factory re-inforcing panel to me from the scrap metal bin too :)
Scored an excellent condition 16x7JJ black steel wheel today with a 245/70/16 Dueler HT on it (70%+ tread remaining), and another tyre with about 45% tread to use :) they will be good for highway work if nothing else. Just need another black steel wheel to match (narrow stud pattern).

Soon to be fitted up will be the ARB Protection Steps (when they arrive at ARB Toowoomba and i collect and install them in the parking lot :) - the IPF lights (already there) and for me to install at home in comfort.

Saw plenty of Navaras out n about today, but only got a few waves/acknowledges as passing...

Last edited:
Good buy mate, I picked up my RX Dual cab trayback 2 weeks ago. 2012 Auto. Love it. Just got rid of my old Patrol Gu ute yesterday with 500300k's non the clock and still going strong. Now I have a few dollars to spend on the Nav. start with a steel bullbar, towbar, 2 inch lift and maybe some decent rubber.
Cheers.

Off to a good start already with the upgrades. Good effort.
Iv got a 2010 D40 RX and just clicked over 100k and hasnt missed a beat and it pulls a trailer every day. Iv got a similar list to you of what I want to do but the funds are low at the mo, so I'm not too happy. Will get ther in the end tho.
Cheers mate!

Fitted up the under-tray toolboxes i kept from the Triton single cab 4x2 :)
The welder at the manufacturers could not get the passenger side brackets welded to the top of the rear box on straight... meant i had to extend my mount holes in the 3mm steel bars i used to bridge the tray ribs for the front mounts GRRRR - small hickup.
ARB called during the week to say the Steel Side Protection Steps had arrived, so i think a trip Toowoomba is in order to collect and fit them myself in a parking lot :)
Photos to be taken afterwards.

Fitting the side steps up is underway (Passenger side underway), the lifting of the brake, fuel and such lines along the top of the chassis rail is not easy without cracking the brittle as organiser right next to the U-bolt... ffs a couple of bits cracked off even when just trying to push the pipes out of the holder... and this is a ute that is only a couple of months old... and these holders never see the sun to harden up like that...
Presently arguing with the M12 bolt that passes through the chassis for the main front mount of the steps. Will continue the argument after dinner :)
Side tool box locks already replaced and ready for the hasp over latch to be fitted in the morning.

Say plenty of D40s today going to, in and about and back home from Toowoomba. Again very few waves back.

Ok, two pics uploaded to my garage of the fitted ARB steel side protection steps and the under tray tool-boxes taken tonight after taking the family for a drive... i forgot to take the pics during the day when i had them all finished up...

IPF 900XS driving lights installed

Another step forward completed today :smile:
The wiring loom kit that comes in the box is longer than required for a D40, but hey it's just a few small coils of cable to be cable-tied up.

Photos will go up into an album that i will create for those interested to view how it was done, after I sought out some experienced advice and i like to re-pay that by sharing with others who attempt these things later.

Going for a drive after dinner to see how great they are vs Hi beam only. No doubt they will need an adjustment to get them sorted.
I will also post info into the thread in the D40 accessories about these that i created to seek out that info above.

Latest posts

Back