Diesel Engine Oil Flush

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark8993

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently got my EGR valve replaced (info on that saga a couple posts below)
and the mechanic recommended that on my next service which is a good 10,000kms away, that i get the dealer I brought the vehicle from to do an oil flush. They recommended this because as the EGR valve was faulty that more than normal exhaust gasses would have been let into the engine and that the oil would be dirty.

I regularly have my car serviced and always do my own oil changes and filter changes before going on a trip so they didn't insinuate that i have neglected my vehicle or anything of that sort.

I was wondering if this is something that can be easily done by yourself with no worries at all and if so, if anyone has done it before can give me the process to do it and the best products to use.

I am completely comfortable with doing an oil and filter change on my vehicle so I cant see that this should be too much of a stretch.

Info would be greatly appreciated!

G'day mate,

I've used oil flush before and it's fairly simple. Car part places such as Auto Barn bursons, repco super cheap etc sell the oil flush you require and pretty much all you do is buy the bottle, pour it into where you'd normally too up your oil and either let it idle for 10 minutes or drive around for 10 minutes before an oil change :)

If two ain't spinnin' you just ain't winnin'

Btw I think it's Nulon or Calibre that sells the oil flush stuff, it comes in a bottle similar to diesel fuel additive stuff

How effective is this stuff? I have always been wary of pouring chemical cleaners and flushes directly into the engine. It's something that's never sat quite right with me.

Personally I would stay away from chemicals like that because if you ever noticed that once you pour new oil in it still comes out black. This means that there will always be left over oil in your engine that you can't remove by just draining the sump. I wouldn't risk it having a chemical left over in my engine that breaks down oil. Your better off using diesel then as I do every 50k put the right amount in and let it idle for 2 minutes then drain.. Works a treat.

Thats exactly what i have been told to do a few times. Diesel has the same effect but doesnt "break the oil down" like the flush stuff does. Id personally be comfortable using diesel.

I have had the same thoughts about using the chemicals, I might go back to the mechanic that replaced the EGR and ask their opinion on it and what they actually use if they do an oil flush.

They are fairly reputable around the city and my family and I have a had great dealings with them.

But also, if any mechanic does an oil flush I would assume they would use a chemical form of liquid. Although I will ask around and see what the answers are.

you guys realise diesel can crystalise oil right? hence why the injector seals on pretty much every hilux with the 1KD had to be replaced if they were made before 2008, essentially it made the oil gunk up the oil pickup at the bottom of the sump starving the engine of oil causing it to seize.

But over how long of a period would it take for that to occur as opposed to the possible damage a chemical flush could do over the same period of time?

Shortened, which would **** your engine quicker?

Im not saying those flush's are BAD, im just raising a possible doubt due to personal belief, and the original poster can make up his own mind :)

Absolutely mate fully understand haha I've been told by my mechanic to use it at every oil change as he's been using it on his 3.0L Patrol that has over 350,000 kms...

That should be enough of a guide to justify using it for you then! It all comes down to personal experience etc, if it works for him then give it a shot!

That should be enough of a guide to justify using it for you then! It all comes down to personal experience etc, if it works for him then give it a shot!

Good point haha but then again he is a mechanic so one would hope that he does look after it.. Its got nothing on it stock as a rock since new.. And it's still going! 2002 Model. No EGR blank, standard exhaust... Not even a catch can. Just 5000km service intervals haha so go the 3.0L's!!!

350000km and it hasn't melted a piston yet? :hmmmm2: :hmmmm2:

Im not really a believer in catch cans though so I can understand that, a mechanical engineer has decided to design the engine without one and spent millions on R&D into said engine so I dunno but I like to leave that sort of stuff alone.

Last edited:
350000km and it hasn't melted a piston yet? :hmmmm2: :hmmmm2:

Im not really a believer in catch cans though so I can understand that, a mechanical engineer has decided to design the engine without one and spent millions on R&D into said engine so I dunno but I like to leave that sort of stuff alone.

I know right? Even he was surprised and his friend who worked at Nissan nearly fell over when he found out. Yeah that's a good point you raise haha

some cars need them, I have heard the V8 diesel in cruisers has so much blowby that oil can leak from the plastic seams in the snorkel.

Back