Diesel Filter system suggestion.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J13NST

Reaction score
I've been watching too many 4wd show.
Now i'm pretty much convinced that i should get aftermarket pre filter for diesel.
Can someone suggest one please?
I narrowed down to Fuel manager series 100 and Donaldson Filtration System.
BUt if you know better please let me know.
Thank you

Over 110,000km on mine with fuel bought all over the place and I haven't had a problem - I might be lucky, too, so it just highlights that not everyone has a problem with their fuel system I guess!

I don't know the best filtration system to use, but I do know that your fuel pump will overwork itself if it has to pull fuel through two filters, so a lift pump would be highly advisable. Overworking the fuel pump isn't a problem if you don't mind the $4,000 price tag.

Recommend the stanadyne 100 series which I the one your talking about. Saved my bacon once already. Had water and some bad dirt in the fuel and it caught it all.

Rusty

I dont think its a bad idea and if you use a filter that is DESIGNED for our common rail type engines then you really shouldnt put extra strain on your pump, people will say its not worth risking $4000 grand on the precaution, BUT i say if you do become UNLUCKY enough to cop a bad load of diesel then you will probably be up for a PUMP +INJECTORS +RAIL + FLUSHING THE SYSTEM TOTALLING WAY ABOVE THE $4000 more towards $10,000 .
You could also argue that your insurance will cover accidental fuel contamination, BUT I have read and seen first hand my cousin get knocked back when he was unlucky enough to have it happen to his Hilux.
So again i dont really want to test out that part of my insurance policy.

For me i installed this one in the thread below

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=13269

----------------------------------------------------

just spent $8500 on new pump, rail, injectors and all the other shit that goes with it because of water in the fuel. $200 on a second filter could have saved that cheap insurance i think.

Put 2 std filters in parallel..no more pump resistance at all

At around 4microns the standard filter as a pre-filter will have more resistance to the 30micron filter/water trap i use and you still cant see when or if you have water in the unit like you can when you have the clear bowl on the bottom.

i got recommended by guys in macquarie 4x4 to put 2micron post filter instead of pre filters.
since d40 do come with water seperator warning sensor. in the event that stock filter serses water there is post filter to back it up. he said he hasnt seen any pump fail due to having extra filter. however he seen countless times pump injector fail due to contamination fuel.
same time i was told by my work collegue that fuel contamination damage can be covered by insurance as well. depends on ur insurance company. i did find that my insurance do cover fuel contamination damage. he said majority fuel station do cover you if your car happens do get damage also in the event of filling it up from rural areas, carry mr funnel (water seperator filter) and check first 10L of fuel and last 5L of fuel going into tank. same for fuels from jerry cans.

dont trust the standard filter mine had a shit load of water in it the and the light never came on

i got recommended by guys in macquarie 4x4 to put 2micron post filter instead of pre filters.
since d40 do come with water seperator warning sensor. in the event that stock filter serses water there is post filter to back it up. he said he hasnt seen any pump fail due to having extra filter. however he seen countless times pump injector fail due to contamination fuel.
same time i was told by my work collegue that fuel contamination damage can be covered by insurance as well. depends on ur insurance company. i did find that my insurance do cover fuel contamination damage. he said majority fuel station do cover you if your car happens do get damage also in the event of filling it up from rural areas, carry mr funnel (water seperator filter) and check first 10L of fuel and last 5L of fuel going into tank. same for fuels from jerry cans.

They have been running that sort of water trap as stock for as long as i can remember and they have never really worked that well, if they do work they will only send a signal once the float inside the unit has reached the very top, MEANING the unit has to be FULL of water. they never come on as soon as water reaches the unit and that is the problem , its too late by then with the common Rail engine.
My old ln106 Hilux was fitted with one from new and yes at times it has collected a bit of water but never has the light come on, i still keep plugging the wires into the bottom of it after each service in the HOPE it may work, BUT only because it makes me feel better.
In all reality its probably lulling me and other people into a false sense of security thinking it will tell you when it has water in it.
At best i have only ever seen it work once in my old D22, BUT again the signal didnt come on until the unit was FULL of water.

personally i like a clear bowl so as you can have a quick look each time you fill up, or at any time you are a bit worried about the location you bought fuel from. That way you can see if you have accumulated any moisture.
At least then you will be able to tell what fuel station the water is coming from if you are unlucky enough to pick some up which may help in them footing the bill if you do sustain damage.

Also it doesnt really matter how FINE the filter is as water will go through no matter how fine the filter is. The main thing is to get an effective water TRAP not a water filter.
Clean water is still going to stuff your fuel system

I have just been watching video from "mr funnel" and apparently water can NOT go through filters finer then 5 microns.............. what i dont understand is why it gets through our standard filters when they are SUPPOSED to be 4 microns.
Im thinking it must be due to the fact that the fuel and water if any are being pumped at high pressure forcing it through as apposed to the water trap funnel which obviously is just gravity

Last edited:
ah ok. hmm should i get post filter or pre filter? also if i do my self it will save me 200 on fitting price. doesnt look hard at all. just need to know where primer pump is. i couldnt see on top of oem filter.

ah ok. hmm should i get post filter or pre filter? also if i do my self it will save me 200 on fitting price. doesnt look hard at all. just need to know where primer pump is. i couldnt see on top of oem filter.

yours is a rubber bulb type, and is located UNDER the filer spliced into the fuel line.
If you have a feel under the filter unit you will find it no probs.

I havent read the full product profile but Donaldson are a reputable brand and have been making all sorts of filters for a long time if thats anything to go off.

For What its worth, We'd recommend a secondary finer filter before we'd recommend a pre-filter. That being said, i would CERTAINLY place the importance of Water Separation over finer filtration every day.
Finer filtration creates better longevity, but if you get water in it, the system will die regardless. So its somewhat catch 22. Perfect world would be an excellent prefilter / water trap at say 10 microns, into a 2 micron post filter.
Hope this helps
Matt

Yep, the Donaldson filter is a water trap/seperator filter. the filter is 11 micron, the fuel will then feed into the standard 4 micron Nissan filter.

Is there a standard size for diesel fuel hose??? I have to buy some fuel hose to plumb the pre filter in with.

Hey I was concerned about the fuel filter as well .I purchased mounting bracket from Western Filters in sydney. they do a complete kit and sell them on EBay For Diesel Models Only !

Finally we have a vehicle specific Fuel / Water Separator Kit for the Nissan Navara D40 2.5 Ltr 2006 ' on, Non DPF & Non Thailand Built Auto's.

This kit will fit Manual Thai built models !

This Filter unit is to be used as a Pre Filter to separate water & contaminates thus avoiding costly repairs due to poor fuel quality.

This kit includes very detailed fitting instructions and everything you will need & even where to fit it !
Kit Contents :
1 x Fuel Filtration Unit Fuel Manager Made by Stanadyne in the USA ! (Filters down to 30 Microns !),
Mounting Bolts, washers & Nyloc nuts.
Spare 30 Micron Filter.
4 Mtr of 3/8" Quality Fuel hose.
Specially Designed Filter Mounting Bracket.
3/8" Inch Straight Barb Fittings.
Blanking Plugs.
Hose Clamps.
6mm Mounting Bolts.

Part # FMNAVARAD40DPK

** Please see separate listing for the 12v Water Sensor Kit with wiring harness & Dash light, compatible with this kit !

I have fitted mine without too much difficulty

My standard filter had heaps of water too and no light came on. new pump rail ect. I installed a water watch from responsive engineering. It doesn't inhibit flow. but its not a filter only a water trap and alarm. has gone off on 2 occasions and saved the same fate again...

Back