Diesel in a petrol jerry can?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt76

Reaction score
Can I safely use a jerry can to take diesel away with me that has previously had petrol in it?

I dont want to risk contaminating the diesel, even if it will only really have petrol fumes in it.

Does anyone know?

Cheers

Edit, it is a plastic jerry can I used to use for my bike at Queensland raceway so only ever had 98 octane unleaded in it.

Cant see why it would be a biggy.
Just run a cup full of diesel throuh it first to be on the safe side, to be extra safe you could empty the cup full back out of the jerry can into a light colourd container and check for contaminants.

I had a peugeot 306 diesel that my mum borrowed and filled with petrol (about 1/4 tank), she asked a mechanic at the servo who said it would be fine (wouldn't want him working on my car though) and yup, not a problem. Probably less than ideal

Not a drama at all, Some truck drivers i know put a little bit of unleaded in there tanks just to boost them up a bit. Used to make the chrome pipes change colour to blue with heat tho.

diesel on petrol is ok, but not the other way around, contamintes the petrol.

it's quite common for the diesel you buy at the pump will contain a small percentage of unleaded. you can sometimes even smell it.

some of the trucks i service run cheap fuel and it sometimes really stinks of petrol, drivers recon they crack though! not entirely good for engine but e've seen nothin go wrong yet, touch wood!

Latest posts

Back