Dion's Utility Trailer Buildup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion

Reaction score
This is a project to build a heavy duty utility and tipping trailer. It's sort of the phoenix out of the ashes of my KA24DE D21 buildup.

I do as much contract farmwork as I can and a tipping trailer would be bloody handy. I had a 70 series steel tray and four Hilux wheels and tyres from the KA24DE project sitting around wasting space, so I'm putting them to good use.

I came across a 4Runner SR5 chassis cheaper than I could buy the steel for the chassis, and somehow it followed me home:

IMG_1919.JPG

I haven't ever seen a five link coil trailer and really there is no advantage on a trailer, but I'm not going to mess with it. Except for putting a piece of tube across the axles to negate the need for internal bearings, and replacing the pumpkin housing with a big piece of tube so it looks less dodgy.

So far the advantages I've found using a SUV chassis rather than building from scratch are:
- Six stud hubs, axle, springs, hydraulic drum brakes and ample hard brake line cheaper than I could buy a trailer brake assembly alone.
- Dampers (Konis)
- Brake proportioning valve, will adjust
- Separate failsafe park brake (aka Handbrake)
- Coil springs

Disadvantages:
- IT'S A HEAVY MOFO.

The tray you can see in the background will be centred roughly over the axle, and the chassis rails cut, bent, rewelded and fishplated to form a drawbar. A nice long one so it tows and reverses nicely. I'll be adding a towbar to the back so I can roadtrain trailers on the farm.

eBay'd up an override hitch, and some tractor 3PL pins to make the tray tippable.

IMG_1917.JPG

And the same tyres as I was going to use for the KA24DE, they still need to be retubed and balanced. Two spares.

IMG_1918.JPG

Gonna bolt this crane to the drawbar of the trailer; I got mighty sick of it being on the back of the ute - can't get into multistorey carparks, it's always in the weather, have to constantly adjust it so it doesn't wreck its own cylinder seal, live in constant fear that some clown will wrap the winch cable round something sheet metal and start winding, etc., so it can go on the trailer with a cover. The crane is also what will make the tray tip:

BuildLog023_002_Large_.jpg

Wire it up with some old Navara steel tray combo brake lights and some clearance lamps and she'll be sweet.

If I'm keen one day I might replace the coils with airbags so I can drop it down low for loading, and there's always the option to remove the tray (pull the 4 pins) and fit up some other item like a camper.

Last edited:
Have ya thought about hooking an altenator up to the drive on the diff? Extra battery charing as you drive

Have ya thought about hooking an altenator up to the drive on the diff? Extra battery charing as you drive

I did. Or an air compressor for air brakes and air springs. But the diff centre wasn't part of the sale, so you can't see in that picture but it's missing.

Interesting theory, I could handle a crane on some of our cattle trailers, if the grumpy bitches wont walk in by themselves a chunk of chain lassoed around the mid section and a swing on the crane and the trailer is loaded and ready for market.

I'll be adding a towbar to the back so I can roadtrain trailers on the farm.

Last time I said that to someone they weren't even remotely familiar with what gets done on farms, so they looked at me with absolute disbelievement at even the mention of doing that, "you'll never be able to do that, it'd never work". HA! Well, myself and many others have proven them wrong many times.

Mitch

Interesting theory, I could handle a crane on some of our cattle trailers, if the grumpy bitches wont walk in by themselves a chunk of chain lassoed around the mid section and a swing on the crane and the trailer is loaded and ready for market.

If you do try this, videotape it. Last time we were having trouble with a bull that wasn't interested in the stock crate, we put some molasses soaked grain in a bucket in the front of the trailer. Stuff the ramp, he jumped in from ground level at a rate of knots.

Last time I said that to someone they weren't even remotely familiar with what gets done on farms, so they looked at me with absolute disbelievement at even the mention of doing that, "you'll never be able to do that, it'd never work". HA! Well, myself and many others have proven them wrong many times.

Dang city folk :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

The last stroppy bull we had demolished the internal gates and flooring of a 12 tonne Isuzu, even a crane wouldn't have saved us that day but it's an interesting idea if only it worked.

Now you're just being stupid, you'll never tow a sick cow around or get your little crane attached to that thing.

Latest posts

Back