DIY bull bar - who's done it? How does it look?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm84

Reaction score
Hey fellas.
Just seeing who out there has made there own front bars?
If so how does it look? also do you have the dimantions?

before you think about making one, beware of the possible legal mine field if you have a crash, as it won't have compliance to be airbag compatible!

There's not only airbag compliance but crumple zones to consider. Still, if you're handy - and can weld really good (like ScottyBobcat can - man he does a neat weld) then there's no reason why you can't try it.

Insurance will be an issue. Most bullbars have to have compliance certificates (not normally handed to the owner, but a sticker placed on the bullbar indicates that that model bullbar had been certified). The certification process used to involve smashing cars with the bars mounted on them, but I did hear that at least one government was allowing computer simulations and certifying off those. Uncertified = unroadworthy and that's the crux of the issue for insurers.

However - and here's the next escape clause - if your bar LOOKS good, an assessor looking at your vehicle might overlook the lack of certification and you're clear.

It's a risk, but perhaps you could see what it takes for the new certification process (including cost)?

It's a risk, but perhaps you could see what it takes for the new certification process (including cost)?

From what I've been told and read (researching building a custom bobber style chopper) each build is an individual unique build and needs individual approval unless you take that exact approve design plan and replicate it exactly hence becoming a consumer/mass production like retail bullbars.

And I'm pretty sure it ain't worth it for the cost of a bullbar to buy, after the cost of your build+inspection approval and certification it's probably cheaper to just buy one you like.

Feel free to correct if anyone knows better

Or build your own and not give a f#?k about the man and his rules

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back