Do i need a Diff Lock for High Country

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigreg

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am in QLD and we are heading down south for a 4 week road trip.
We will be camping, 4wd and exploring the dunes at Robe and the VIC High country and every thing we find in between.

On my preperation list is a rear air locker.
I would like to hear from other Navara owver d40/d22 who have down the high country and if you think a locker will go along way to helping me?
I want to avoid getting cross axled in a creek crossing or not be able to get to a spot due to my rear diff.

I do a bit of glasshouse exploring around Brisbane and all the beach spots, so far alocker would have got me through on 2 scenarios other wise i cant really justify one.

I have a good winch with lots of recovery gear.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Bigreg it really depends on what tracks you tackle and whether it is wet or dry. There are plenty of tracks in the HC that can be done with a stock vehicle. A few of us Victorians on here get up in the hills and we do it without lockers. One has a rear locker in his D40 but the D22's are all running the standard LSD. We all wear mud tyres and lower tyre pressure.

What are you driving?

Some tracks are rutted out pretty badly but there are usually alternative tracks to get you to your destination.

Most of the common river crossings are in good shape - it is the depth that varies from time to time.

Dept of Sustainability (DSE) are a good reference point and will be able to tell you what tracks are open as some are still closed due to flood/weather damage.

Perhaps tell us where you want to go and some of the lads will give you a good idea of the best route to take. When will you be down here - some of us may choose to catch up and show you some sites.

Last edited:
yea ridgie is pretty much spot on with his post, but from having the locker myself i wouldnt say its completly necessary but a good investment none the less, it really depends on the track conditions. if its dry then you will be fine on most tracks but there are other tracks out there that are pretty loose rocks so it can become abit more challenging.

Im driving a D40 2010 ST dual cab.
Its got suspension lift,
32inch Dick Cepek tyres
Snorkel,
Bar work and sliders
Bash plate
Lots of other usual mods but they wont be assisting in the traction.

Ridgie, i have not planned exatly where we will be headed yet.
Plan to do black spur, billy goats bluff and maybe visit some rangers huts. I need to grab a map and get some local knowledge, plan to camp in the area for up to 6 days straight.

Onlock
Do you find your self going for the locker sooner than when you just had a stock lsd for most off road driving?

My big hesitation is the cost of a ARB locker and the fact that there is no other alternative for the d40.

Travelling alone or with others?

Do you have a winch?

Have a look at some maps and post up your preferred route and a I have no doubt the boys on here will help you out - some of the lads I travel with have a good knowledge of the best tracks and camping spots.

pretty much as soon as i hit the dirt it gets locked and stays that way untill im back on the bitumen. i found the stock lsd terrible as it would single spin on the slightest bit of loose dirt, although there have been times when it has played up on me and iv been forced to drive without it and been fine. some of the tracks where this happened is coming out of wonangatta heading towards dargo. and along hornets stream both with decent hillclimbs and some loose rock but i tend to drive abit faster in those situations so i know i will clear any obstacles. tyre pressures are the main thing to do, keep them down at around 20psi, less if you find you need more traction. another big factor is how much weight you will be carrying. i tend to travel pretty light as its only myself and the girlfriend and only a weekend trip so not as much gear is needed

I will be traveling along so we are set up for self recovery and survival to an extent.
Carrying
Lots of tools and lubricate spares etc
Large recovery kit with extra snatch blocks for reverse recovery.
Ground anchor
shovels
highlift jack
12000lbs tigerz winch

Ridgie i will have ot pick you brains as the trip near close, we are leaving on xmas eve.
I will post up my route after checking some maps.

Onlock - is the compressor in the cabin anoying?

nah the compressor is fine, it only runs for maybe 2-3 seconds to build up pressure then aslong as you dont have any air leaks it shouldnt come back in at all. iv got mine under my passenger seat, and apart from the odd person who comes with me that freaks out when i flick the switch its fine

Cheers mate. Sounds like you have a great few weeks planned. Good luck and feel free to drop a PM for any info and I'll harass the knowledge lads for the best options.

Hi Guys,

I am in QLD and we are heading down south for a 4 week road trip.
We will be camping, 4wd and exploring the dunes at Robe and the VIC High country and every thing we find in between.

On my preperation list is a rear air locker.
I would like to hear from other Navara owver d40/d22 who have down the high country and if you think a locker will go along way to helping me?
I want to avoid getting cross axled in a creek crossing or not be able to get to a spot due to my rear diff.

I do a bit of glasshouse exploring around Brisbane and all the beach spots, so far alocker would have got me through on 2 scenarios other wise i cant really justify one.

I have a good winch with lots of recovery gear.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Bloke...personally I wouldnt stress too much if you havent got a locker, you say you've got a winch and a lot of recovery gear...be sensible with your driving offroad and youll do it easy.
Keep in mind when your down this way most of us here in Vic have each others mob no's/contact details so you can put yours out and if you need some assistance, someone I'm sure can help/get to you and prolly a good way of contact too almost 24/7 would be comming on here if in trouble so a lappy and wireless dongle can go a long way.

Enjoy your trip down mexico way...:cheers!:

by knowledge lads you mean matty right lol

Matty, Jase, Kyle, Heath, Steve ........anyone I've followed!!! I forget where we've been.

Bigreg - Krankin is spot on with the advice - you've got a winch, and sensible driving on the right tracks will get you where you need to go and you will see some great country.

How's that for Vic hospitality BigReg, you've just been offered state wide 24 hr roadside assist, our operators are standing by...

I dont have a locker in my D40, but i'm loaded very different to ONLOCK ... he has virtually NO weight, whereas i'm heavily loaded. I dont experience the rear wheel spin that he has done because of the weight i'm carrying.

As you are doing the trip to the high country as a reasonably loaded vehicle, i daresay that a rear locker will not be necessary at all. As it comes closer for your trip, put a post up in the Victorian section of the forum and invite some VNOGGERS to perhaps join you in parts of your trip. That way if there is any technically difficult sections of track, you will have other hands to help with seting up of recovery equipment - but most of the time a quick snatch help through a section is all that is needed.

Unfortunatley i'll be leaving for a trip to Alice Springs on boxing day (for 2 weeks) just as you are likely to arrive in Victoria - so that counts me out. Otherwise i'd have jumped at the chance for a 2 week travel through the high country instead of the base camping that i usually do.

How's that for Vic hospitality BigReg, you've just been offered state wide 24 hr roadside assist, our operators are standing by...

LOL ... the VNOGGERS to the rescue ... a self help group within Navara.Asia ... :rock:

but the one thing we probably wont do at the end of your trip is do this for you ... :wash_truck:

Back