do you think the d40 is on par ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
hey guys my mate has bought a hilux single cab work mate 4x4
we are planing on doing a lot more 4x4in but the 3 of us that enjoy and have different cars for work

mates got a mavrick and prob is the best one for off raod but he does not need his car as a work horse like me and my other mate ...

question is would you say the d40 is on par with the hilux ? for off road ?

same sorta set up isn't it ?? cheers

im in 2 minds about having a second car for off road such as gq or a mavrick
but i like the navara better but don't want to be left behind
either witch way i go there is a fair bit of money to spend .

:rambo::rambo:

Im bloody surrounded by D4D Hilux's, and every time we go out wheeling i end up towing or winching at-least one of them out of something that the Nav just made it up or through.

Lol good stuff mate so u reckon the d40 is the same as the hilux off road then the hilux has a weak front end two ?

Lol good stuff mate so u reckon the d40 is the same as the hilux off road then the hilux has a weak front end two ?

Imo they are about the same off road, if anything the nave is slightly better.

As for the Hilux front end, all i can really say for sure is none of the ones i go wheeling with have had any probs, but neither have i and the D40 is meant to be week as piss?????

yeah the only thing is I don't want to stuff my d40 coz I dont want to pay for repairs all the time so I'm kinda put off by the whole d40 is so weak in the front end people say even putting me off getting 33's aswell

mate , i run 32's , 2inch lift , 1inch body lift and underbody protection which seems the standard for most of the boys on here with D40's bar the 1inch body lift , the downfall i find with the d40 is the front clearance isnt that great , but all in all if you want to do "nice" 4wding then yeah they are great but for anything wild or extreme i would think twice

I no I was getting at limiting my repair bill though I no 4wding u will brake and scarch stuff
I'm looking at getting a gq patrol for some fun and I don't havevto care so much about it

I've never had any problems with mine offroad as far as the front end goes.
It's got 210,000km on the clock and I've had to replace a front wheel bearing at 140k and both front ball joints at 207k other than that just wheel allignments.
The only thing I'd recommend if your not planning on lifting it would be to put a sump guard on as it sit's at the same height as the front crossmember it as I found out the hard way that a new one is $700.

Also remember to clean out the drain holes in the rear factory mud flaps as they fill up with mud easily and could cause rust problems down the track.

all im saying about the front end, is the clearance is pretty bad compared to others...

I have measured my Nav with a 2" lift against my cousins D4D Hilux with a 2" lift, both utes have the same tyres and all the measurements were the same, ground to front diff (or lowest point between front wheels), axle to front guard, ect,
except for the distance from chassis rail to ground, and thats where the Hilux was over 100mm higher!!

hahah yeah thats right Tony, goes to show that the ramp over isnt the be-all or end-all to a 4x4 hey.

gots me buggered how the chassis rails start high then goes low in the center where its most important then back up high to the rear..wtf frustrating. d4d and d40 flexing was almost identical i did with a mate but note: dont try flex comparing against sas truck...i was sooooo embarrassed!

Back