Dobinson vs Tough Dog

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregNQ

Reaction score
I know there have been a lot of Suspension threads started already.....

I am going to put a 2 inch lift in my 2005 D40 and am chucking up between Dobinson and Tough Dog. Can Any one tell if Tough Dog is worth the extra $400-$500

Thanks

i have all the components of a Tough Dog lift sitting on my lounge floor at the moment , haven't had time to do anything and waiting on one last part ( i brought it all bit by bit sneaked it around the finance minister ) , now I've had ultimate , pedders and some efs in the past on other ute's , but let me tell you , if build quality , size , and looks are anything to go by , it pisses on the others without even being on the truck !!!!

id never touch dobinsons shocks again, ( had the bushes replaced under warranty within 8 months)

Give zordo a bell and grab the dobinson springs with bilstien shocks a go!
thats where my coin will go next :)

My 2cents anyway

i have all the components of a Tough Dog lift sitting on my lounge floor at the moment , haven't had time to do anything and waiting on one last part ( i brought it all bit by bit sneaked it around the finance minister ) , now I've had ultimate , pedders and some efs in the past on other ute's , but let me tell you , if build quality , size , and looks are anything to go by , it pisses on the others without even being on the truck !!!!

Are all those other brands you have mentioned been on 4x4 utes?
IMO the build quality of the "ULTIMATE" stuff i have is pretty good and i have run them on my last two D40 the first has done over 100,000km and still works like new.
The second has now done 36,000km and is as good as the day i got it fitted.
Can you re-build Tough Dog?
do a google search for problems with "Ultimate" then do the same for "TOUGH DOG" and see what comes up...........
Can TOUGH DOG" shocks be individually valved to suit each individual vehicle??
How do the two warranty's compare??
Personally i dont think you can tell by the "SIZE" or straight out "LOOKS" i think the proof is in the DRIVING
just my 2 cents

Are all those other brands you have mentioned been on 4x4 utes?
IMO the build quality of the "ULTIMATE" stuff i have is pretty good and i have run them on my last two D40 the first has done over 100,000km and still works like new.
The second has now done 36,000km and is as good as the day i got it fitted.
Can you re-build Tough Dog?
do a google search for problems with "Ultimate" then do the same for "TOUGH DOG" and see what comes up...........
Can TOUGH DOG" shocks be individually valved to suit each individual vehicle??
How do the two warranty's compare??
Personally i dont think you can tell by the "SIZE" or straight out "LOOKS" i think the proof is in the DRIVING
just my 2 cents
Yes they were , and i agree , your comments are valid , i said on looks alone , and my my ultimates were a very good shock , although they had a bad batch of lower bushes and i flogged 2 sets out on a long trip before they were eventually sorted in Townsville , my only issue with ultimate is you can only buy them from Ultimate , and if they stuff up , only repaired / warranted by ultimate , that left me somewhat stuck while the bush issue was sorted out , where as ( every man and his DOG sell tough dog ) pun intended :)

Yes they were , and i agree , your comments are valid , i said on looks alone , and my my ultimates were a very good shock , although they had a bad batch of lower bushes and i flogged 2 sets out on a long trip before they were eventually sorted in Townsville , my only issue with ultimate is you can only buy them from Ultimate , and if they stuff up , only repaired / warranted by ultimate , that left me somewhat stuck while the bush issue was sorted out , where as ( every man and his DOG sell tough dog ) pun intended :)

Do "ULTIMATE" run a different size BUSH then other manufactures??
they look the same as most other brands, i will have to measure the eyelets that the bush sits in.

I'am not sure Nathan , i still have a spare set somewhere , these were on a ML Triton , look ive nothing but praise for Ultimate , don't take that the wrong way , but i thought i would try Tough Dog this time , reasons being , availability and good write up's , and looks , i mean on the Nav's I've seen them fitted too , nice height etc

I'am not sure Nathan , i still have a spare set somewhere , these were on a ML Triton , look ive nothing but praise for Ultimate , don't take that the wrong way , but i thought i would try Tough Dog this time , reasons being , availability and good write up's , and looks , i mean on the Nav's I've seen them fitted too , nice height etc

Its all good Steve, just clarifying some things is all.

Latest posts

Back