Does anyone see issues with this idea?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eug

Reaction score
I have an idea that I want to run past the brain trust.

Does the below sound like a feasible idea? These are just mock ups on the computer. It is intended for carrying a car topper boat (approx 35kg). I have a front sports bar with a rack and would put some horizontal bracing from front to rear rack to add to stability.

Reason being that I have a hard tonneau and have no need for more storage (don't want a canopy). The idea is that I can remove it quickly when not required.

It's off the chassis so I don't think strength will be an issue. The vertical sections would be attached via a T-clamp, similar to the one used for brush bars (from bull bar to sliders).

Thoughts?

Cheers
Eug

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 3638031.jpg
    3638031.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
The vehicle body is mounted on rubber and it DOES flex. If the rear bar is fixed to the chassis, you might find that when you hit a bump the load moves, wears or even comes off.

Is it too large to just mount on the roof bars? The max dynamic load for a D40 roof is 95Kg, so structurally it's up to the task.

Sorry I have clarified in the original post. I have a sports bar with a rack. I thought the rear tray was bolted solid to the chassis? I plan on keeping the boat secured above the tray (independent of the cab).

Logistically it'll be a PITA to mount on roof racks.

In that case I can't see anything that could cause trouble - I think the tub is held hard against the chassis, so there's nothing to make it move except for flex in the sports bar.

I've removed my sports bar (actually Nissan did it, but I have the bars at home). They're like foil - but it's only 35Kg, so it would be worth trying but I'd keep an eye on that.

Thanks, just after a bit of reassurance I guess. Just thinking long term at the moment.

I agree the sports bar isn't the strongest but the boat weighs bugger all and having that weight spread across two bars should suffice I think. I don't intend on doing long distance corrugations either.

Cheers again

How about just buying a 2nd hand rear sports/ladder rack that mounts inside the tub? Just so happens I have a set for sale $250 including freight to Brissy if you interested. Has front add on part for trade racks and rear trade rack with tub mounts. All in chrome.

Cheers

Ive used the factory sports bars for my canopy i thought they were quiet substancial really. (d22) the bar itself would hold a shitload of weight the way it attaches to the top lip of the tub with a 8mm bolt is probly the weak point but in your case where you have the complete sports bar not just the front hoop section like me it should hold heaps really(within reason, dont try and load your haines hunter signature up there :D

Ive removed the second support bar off mine so i dont have a bar in my way when i try access the tub. So i have a hoop at the front and one at the back with 3 sheet metal supports (only 1.6mm) running the length of the tub between the two bars and i have a roof rack on there and have had reasonable weight up there with no issues. And as above your with the support bar still attatched will be stronger than mine

Back