Dogs in the back!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeard

Reaction score
Hi there!!
Recently joined and bought a 2014 d40 ST! Such a great vehicle!

I'm looking at driving Sydney to Brisbane with my 2 best mates (boxers) and was wondering about the best way to do this!

I had the idea of getting a soft cover and cutting it in line with the sports bar for them to have a shelter from sun/wind/rain.
Anyone have any ideas and suggestions?

Besides a dog cage?

Cheers!!!

I just place tie down points in the middle of rail under the sports bar and tie them to that. Never really worried about shelter/shade as longest trip ghey have been on is about 2hrs. If you get a rear bar you could probably suspend somthing between the two

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403994661.998097.jpg
Front seat?
Actually I bought a canopy for this guy, set up with water and nibble station , being 60kg he likes his food when travelling

Welcome to the forum mate.

Your cover idea sounds like a great idea. That is a long trip for a dog in a ute. So they need plenty of protection from the buffeting they can get back there.

Years ago had a Blue Heeler that went everywhere with me and being a Bluey, the ute was her kind of transport. Loved it but I think over the years the constant buffeting from the wind and bugs in it's eyes from hanging it's head out the side may of contributed to her going blind and eventually deaf.

Up hear I see plenty of dogs crammed in cages, pig dogs usually. Not only that but the cage is on the very rear of the truck with it belting down a dusty dirt road. It may look very tough but there being pitched around hammered by the wind and sun and covered in dust it's bordering on cruelty.

^^ Yeah I have.

Your right it's not bordering on cruelty, it is.

Yeah sometimes I feel like opening the cage and saying run for your lives doggies

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum mate.

Your cover idea sounds like a great idea. That is a long trip for a dog in a ute. So they need plenty of protection from the buffeting they can get back there.

Years ago had a Blue Heeler that went everywhere with me and being a Bluey, the ute was her kind of transport. Loved it but I think over the years the constant buffeting from the wind and bugs in it's eyes from hanging it's head out the side may of contributed to her going blind and eventually deaf.

Up hear I see plenty of dogs crammed in cages, pig dogs usually. Not only that but the cage is on the very rear of the truck with it belting down a dusty dirt road. It may look very tough but there being pitched around hammered by the wind and sun and covered in dust it's bordering on cruelty.
Thanks mate! That's exactly what I was worried about! Just seeing if my idea was flawed in some way!!

Now just to find an old soft cover that's not costing $400+

View attachment 15797
Front seat?
Actually I bought a canopy for this guy, set up with water and nibble station , being 60kg he likes his food when travelling
Hahah yes I had done this for a while but now he's getting massive so he's been booted! The Mrs doesn't like when she's got 30+ kgs sitting on her lap!

I was looking at canopies but not interested in forking out 2g when Id rather spend it on tyres etc!

I use a canopy with a roof vent , front window that opens and secured crate. Most people in dog sports that I know would use a crate in a wagon, SUV or a ute . Crate is secured and normally contains a mattress and bowl of water .
You don't carry dogs in an open tub or in passenger seats.

Last edited:
Try a trap from bunnings and use a few ropes and straps from the tie down points, usually when you have a little bit of gear you can build a little hide hole for the dogs.

I use a canopy with a roof vent , front window that opens and secured crate. Most people in dog sports that I know would use a crate in a wagon, SUV or a ute . Crate is secured and normally contains a mattress and bowl of water .
You don't carry dogs in an open tub or in passenger seats.

Why dont you carry dogs in an open tub or passenger seat?? i have my huski and he wears a harness which is clicked into the seat belt (more often then not its the back seat as the misses doesnt like the back seat with the dog in the front) or if in the tub (when i had one) or the new tray anchored in eith a centre anchor.

Why dont you carry dogs in an open tub or passenger seat?? i have my huski and he wears a harness which is clicked into the seat belt (more often then not its the back seat as the misses doesnt like the back seat with the dog in the front) or if in the tub (when i had one) or the new tray anchored in eith a centre anchor.

People take different views on what is acceptable in regards to dog transport. I often travel interstate with my dog and don't think tray arrangements would be appreciated by my dog . Main point is to provide comfortable and safe accomodation for a dog - after all it would be unfair from me to expect a dog to perform its task after 10 hour uncomfortable trip.
As for cabin and seat arrangement - I do tracking in all weather (rain and mud included ) and you can imagine what cabin would look like after several trips.
Many of our members own multiple dogs - crates are the way it is done. Dogs love their crates , it's when they relax and switch off.
Admittedly for a family pet , seat with harness would be ok for a short trip , tray is just wrong IMO .

Fair call i didnt relise you travel such distances, i get being in a tray for a long period maybe of concern for the dog. yeah in that case id build a cage for the front of the tray and kit it out for him.

Latest posts

Back