DP chip on ZD30, what are your LED's doing?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadnode

Reaction score
Instructions state....

engine on = flashing green LED
full throttle = red LED lights

Firstly I'll state that mine is set to 5, as I received it after being reprogrammed.

My green LED is correct but my red LED comes on with the slightest throttle movement. By that I mean I would have to be decelerating or stopped for it to be off.

Otherwise it seems to be doing what it should....

Does everyone else's behave like this?

No idea as I have never used that chip.

This thread needed to be Approved so Ill give it a bump.

When i originally installed mine i had to give it a fair rev for the red light to come on. Its in a container in the engine bay so i dont see what its doing while i'm driving.

I have one and the red only comes on when it needs to some time it isn't on. I plant my foot and it comes on I think it mainly works on load I'm sue thats what DP told me when I contacted them to find out how they work.

Well DPChip got back to me with this...

"The red light on the chip that you have will turn off afterwards. The red light shows when the chip is activating in real time.
Basically any time the car is unloaded the red light will be off.
so yes this is normal behaviour"

I'm sure they would know better but ... I don't consider cruising speed (any) with an empty cabin/tub to be much of a "load"

My concern is more that my engine might be overfueled and could end up with excess soot through it. Since fitting it I've noticed the ocassional puff of black smoke, sometimes on cold start too but I accept that might be the way it will be from now on.

I once had an imported Pajero with a 2.5L diesel in it, started to get real smokey so I checked out the EGR and sure enough full off soot all the way through the intake and who knows where else. I suspect it was the injector pump but geez it made a mess of the motor, I'd hate to see my Navara go that way!

Appreciate the feedback cabhsv...

Instructions state....

engine on = flashing green LED
full throttle = red LED lights

Firstly I'll state that mine is set to 5, as I received it after being reprogrammed.

My green LED is correct but my red LED comes on with the slightest throttle movement. By that I mean I would have to be decelerating or stopped for it to be off.

Otherwise it seems to be doing what it should....

Does everyone else's behave like this?

Im pretty sure that sounds normal to me. I'll try to check what mine is doing for you tomorrow and let u know. Its too cold, wet and dark outside right now!

Hey Toadnode,
Just checked mine today and the lights are the same as yours. Green with engine on and red with any throttle applied. I'm not concerned and believe that it is functioning normally. I also checked the instructions that came with it and it says that under load the red led will be on. "Load" doesn't have to be heavy or full load. I understand it to mean any load (throttle).

Last edited:
@toadnode
The only way to tell if its overfueled is to stick an O2 sensor into the exhaust and get the AFR reading. You could do this on a dyno with the chip disconnected and then compare the reading to when its on. Power will always comes from more fuelling so with chips added soot will always be there unless you raise the boost to match. I think the DP is set to come on at a certain RPM, maybe yours is set to start at lower RPMs.

Oh right... I never really thought about using an O2 sensor, do they function just the same as petrol or do you need something special?
Excuse my limited understanding of diesels ... but when extra fuel is added from the chip you get more combustion and as a result increased boost from extra exhaust gases right? So the system should balance out...or should I be considering a boost controller to match the delivery?

Do any of the controllers out there operate on exhaust gas readings?

My chip was reprogrammed by DP just before I got it and I haven't adjusted the dial, still on no 5 setting(in the middle). It's still a bit odd that my foot should have to nearly come off the pedal for the red LED to go out...

Oh right... I never really thought about using an O2 sensor, do they function just the same as petrol or do you need something special?
Excuse my limited understanding of diesels ... but when extra fuel is added from the chip you get more combustion and as a result increased boost from extra exhaust gases right? So the system should balance out...or should I be considering a boost controller to match the delivery?

Do any of the controllers out there operate on exhaust gas readings?

My chip was reprogrammed by DP just before I got it and I haven't adjusted the dial, still on no 5 setting(in the middle). It's still a bit odd that my foot should have to nearly come off the pedal for the red LED to go out...

Should be the same as gas engines. I don't have an O2 sensor/gauge myself, just got the AFR readings from the dyno. Although I'm sure EGTs will be a different story when you use it on the road since there might be a lot more load on the engine, its still a good way to have it tuned.

I'm not sure about extra fuel upping boost on the zd30 motor. The d40 boost is electronically controlled. My AFR still went down after fitting the chip so on the d40 at least, boost doesn't go up to match fuelling. zd30 should be the same I think.

Re: the red LED it'll come on at the same RPM whichever place the dial is on. I think the dial just decreases the voltage by a small percentage. I've tried every position on the dial and they're almost all the same. Couldn't notice much of a difference.

Getting a ChipIt within the week, I bet its gonna be a good weekend. :devil:

Latest posts

Back