dpf replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
Hi all has anyone had problems after fitting after market DPF & or removing the cat
as Im thinking of doing it ?? to fix fuel usage probs

Don't know about an after market DPF, most just take them out of the system, there is a few threads here about DPF removal and delete pipes. As for removing the cat I think there is a few threads floating around but given the legality of it most end fairly quickly.

Search the D40 section for DPF removal there is a complete write up by bosshog on what he did and there is also a thread from ChipIt talking about their delete pipe.

Hi all has anyone had problems after fitting after market DPF & or removing the cat
as Im thinking of doing it ?? to fix fuel usage probs

The DPF exchange is a sinch. It took me about 1/2 day which include the problem with seized bolts on the OEM DPF. The Cat i would leave alone. Far too many issues and the benefits aren't worth the effort and problems.

Good luck.

As Kfrafy suggested, do a search and some great threads will pop up.

Can I suggest that removing the DPF might stop it from conducting regeneration burns therefore saving some fuel, but removing the CAT won't change a lot - the ECU won't know that the CAT is missing or hollowed out, and will still squirt diesel out on occasion regardless.

Removing the DPF will make your diesel look like any other - black smoke on takeoff or hard acceleration. However, an inspector would need to know that your particular model had a DPF to do anything about it.

On the other hand, removing the CAT is obvious (on inspection) and since every car has a CAT, it's also going to draw attention. You might escape that attention by hollowing it out.

If you do remove the DPF, ensure that your car isn't trying to conduct a regen first.

Merchant has changing the DPF made any change to your truck ??

Slightly better fuel ecomomy and a tad more power. The more important factor for me was the removal of potenial DPF problems when traveling in the WA outback. I got caught out once when the DPF didn't do what it was supposed to and the car went in to limp mode. Cost me a fortune.

Yes, there is black smoke under heavy acceleration but who cares. You are at the front of the car and the smoke comes out the back. It'll never bother you.

Unsure how you check if the ECU is still pumping extra fuel to heat everything up.

If you catch the DPF between regens and then position the sensors properly, it won't pump extra fuel to heat the DPF.

There are squirts done to act as a reductant on the CAT. These are unregulated as far as I know - there are no sensors on the CAT that report that it's time for more reductant, so the ECU just seems to do it on occasion.

Thanks for the info
I am thinking of getting the replacment from Chip it
1. To save on fuel
2. prevent DPF probs later

Back