Driveshaft problems?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NISSAND40

Reaction score
Hey guys. Took my Navara off the beaten bitueman and found some gnarly tracks to test out the fourby functions. Worked well, too well because before I know it I was tackling obsticles I would normally say 'frak that'..
Anyway, I'm getting a repetitive knocking and scraping sound from the front left wheel (passenger side) Gear change (it's a auto) and engine sound fine,
I'm told it could affect the tranny and cause a pretty big problem.. not entirely sure about this topic so help would be awesome. Thanking you in advance

If it's coming just from one wheel you'd have to suspect the CV on that wheel. Definitely worth chocking the back wheels, raising the front onto jack stands and turning the wheels over while you have a listen.

CV damage could occur from allowing the raised wheel to spin substantially and then suddenly having it bite. The forces will have to expend themselves somewhere, and on a couple of occasions it's been the front diff that's let go, another was a broken axle, and the CVs a couple of times too. Lockers vastly reduce the risk of damage.

Could be a wheel bearing? sounds like similar symptoms i had before mine threw a bearing.

It could be also be a CV? does the noise get worse when turning? or under acceleration?

can you give us some more details, when did the noise first start? on the trail? or later on? ect

what were you doing when you first herd it?

Had you done any mud or dirty dams ect

That's aleviated some concerns.

Any truth to that comment about the tranny being affected? heard some knocking noises for 5-6 minutes on the way to work this morning..

Could be a wheel bearing? sounds like similar symptoms i had before mine threw a bearing.

It could be also be a CV? does the noise get worse when turning? or under acceleration?

can you give us some more details, when did the noise first start? on the trail? or later on? ect

what were you doing when you first herd it?

Had you done any mud or dirty dams ect

Yes it does get worse when turning. under acceleration too.

I hit a massive mud hole and had to get winched out. Blokes who winched me said it sounded like the left cv was gone.. finished the day in 2WD

looks like its pointing to a cv.

I wouldnt be driving to far, as the front is always spinning even in 2wd it could end up locking up and doing more damage.

Cheers mate. Thanks heaps for your help, iv parked the navara in the garage, it is not seeing daylight until issue is resolved.

Diff locks might be my first investment I think

Cheers mate. Thanks heaps for your help, iv parked the navara in the garage, it is not seeing daylight until issue is resolved.

Diff locks might be my first investment I think

No probs at all.

If you do get a locker i would go with an "Eaton" E-Locker

shortly after logging off last night I got told that I should only use genuine nissan CVs.. steer clear from aftermarket. is that true?

Back