Driving from melbourne to surfers paradise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
hi all like the head line sees. My wife, 2 kids (3-2)and I are planning to drive to surfers paradise with cousins in may 2015. Id like advice on what I need to take/ do for the car, the quickest way and any thing else I need to know. I have a d22 03 zd30 with a 2" lift, mtz mickys, snorkel, 9500lb winch, uhf 80ch, and some recovery gear. we where thinking of stopping in Sydney for a night. any other suggestion on where to stay or anything else would be much appreciate.

Hi Wes,
your question is a bit hard to follow mate. There are three highways you really have the choice to drive up. I've done the drive six times and prefer to go up the monaro highway through the snowy mountains, through canberra and up the M1. It's a bit further but a much nicer drive. I think the fastest way from Melbourne though is up the Hume to Sydney and then the M1.
As far as stopping it really depends on how long the kids and mrs are comfortable in the car. And whether you want to stop in hotels/motels/camp. If you give some more detail can be more specific.
are you planning on doing some 4wding on the way or when you get there? There are a lot of options. Otherwise leave the recovery gear at home. I've seen some big potholes on the M1 but not enough to require a winch and recovery gear.
Cheers

Quickest is up the Newell hwy. Keep heading towards Brisbane and when you get near Brisbane you will see the Logan motorway which will spit you down to surfers.

Use to do this run all the time in the truck. Quickest and cheapest in fuel usage.

It's a good 18 plus hours if you are having a go. And with wife and kids you won't make good time (I have three kids).

Solo I'd just hook in and have a go but with kids and wife I'd split into a three day trip. Kids need to stretch and having your family with you, rest will be needed by you.

My two bit for you.

sorry I don't want to do any 4wding. so I will leave the recovery gear at home. as for staying over night id like to stay in hotel/ motel for a night but have no idea where as its our first time driving up. also what will I need to do to the car in terms of mechanically?

Quickest is up the Newell hwy. Keep heading towards Brisbane and when you get near Brisbane you will see the Logan motorway which will spit you down to surfers.

Use to do this run all the time in the truck. Quickest and cheapest in fuel usage.

It's a good 18 plus hours if you are having a go. And with wife and kids you won't make good time (I have three kids).

Solo I'd just hook in and have a go but with kids and wife I'd split into a three day trip. Kids need to stretch and having your family with you, rest will be needed by you.

My two bit for you.
is there any place you recommend to spend a night or two? how long did it take you to get there and how many km is it that way?

It's about 1700 kms.
To split it up evenly over three days you would do melb to West Wylong then to Moree then to the Gold Coast. That's three sorta even days for you.

Back