Dropping in the TD27T

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must have triple jointed arms or something :). Already spent a lot of time in my back trying this!

Hopefully will get the chance to have another crack in the morning. At least the rain here has cooled things down a bit.

So, Christmas shopping and sick wife have slowed things down a bit, but I'm down to one bolt on the bell housing holding the engine to gearbox and they can come out.

It's the same bolt that gave me grief removing the Z24 3 yrs ago - top of the gearbox, and to the drivers side. By the time I get a spanner on it, there is no room to move it, let alone put any force on it. And from underneath I can barely reach up to put socket on it while on my back.

I've pulled the gearstick boot off and am going to tackle the bolt that way, from inside the cabin along the top of the gearbox, when I can get another 500mm or so extender for the socket set. Any other thoughts?

I'm interested to see what works for you as I'm heading there real soon myself, although the TD has the starter at 2 o'clock looking from the rear, there's not a lot of room to move.

Yep, an auto. Unfortunately, that's where the complexity in the wiring seems to come from. The auto is run by an ecu that gets information from all over the car. If you're going manual, then I reckon you'll get away with a few minor changes.

Ahh you could always stay manual, save yourself some headaches and sell me the Transmission :rofl2:

It's the dying manual forcing me to do this is the first place! I'll be quite happy with the auto though as I'll be using it for towing.

You must have triple jointed arms or something :). Already spent a lot of time in my back trying this!

Hopefully will get the chance to have another crack in the morning. At least the rain here has cooled things down a bit.

Nah mate not triple jointed arms , just using 3 swivel joints and 3 extension bars , still not easy but i will be able to get to it.

Looks like I can reach the bolt with two extensions from the cabin, and have plenty of room to swing the ratchet or breaker bar. Without any swivels. Just need to find some time to actually do it! Wife not well, do I'm drafted into more of the preparations for tomorrow.

3:50pm It's out! 15 mins, most of it buggerising about trying to get the socket onto the bolt, 3 mins to crack the bolt, and get it out. I will never ever undo this bolt in any other way after this. Brilliant.

Last edited:
Good to see its out , I hate those annoying bolts that slow everything up.
Keep the build going mate.

Mine has stalled as i have to pack up , and do work to the new house before we move. Would prefer to be doing the Nav !!!

Looks like I can reach the bolt with two extensions from the cabin, and have plenty of room to swing the ratchet or breaker bar. Without any swivels. Just need to find some time to actually do it! Wife not well, do I'm drafted into more of the preparations for tomorrow.

3:50pm It's out! 15 mins, most of it buggerising about trying to get the socket onto the bolt, 3 mins to crack the bolt, and get it out. I will never ever undo this bolt in any other way after this. Brilliant.

Good to see it's out :rock: Will be using your method when it's my turn :cheers!:

Well this may be as far as I get for the next month. We're off to Brisvegas in a couple of days to visit family, and I've made a list of the jobs that need doing around here before we go. Not much spare time!

Still, It's been good progress on a project taking way too long, so perhaps it can go in spits and spurts for a bit. I'll keep you updated if I do get much further along anyway.

Well i hate to say this but due to buying a house i am having to cancel my conversion and sell the Nav , so if anybody wants a nav project in WA i have one in the for sale section of this site.

Good luck with the build guys i will be watching on with envy

Damn man that bites.
Once I've done my rebuild/conversion I'll come around and take
you out for burn :)

Sorry to hear, Whitey86. At least you can follow ours, and avoid the scraped knuckles, cuts and bruises.

Woohoo! Progress!

Removed the bolts from the engine mounts. Oh, and attached the engine to the engine lift.

Now, any advice on how to separate the engine from the gearbox????

Take a bit of the weight with hoist and try twisting the engine left to right whilst pulling it forward.
Should separate relatively easily but if it is a bit stubborn once you get a small gab between the bellhousing and block just use a pry bar or a big flat screw driver to help lever it apart.
Is it auto or manual ?
If auto you're better of unbolting the torque converter from the flex plate before hand.
You should be able to access the bolts through the starter motor hole.
Hope that helps good luck.

Cheers. It's a manual. I've got a gap of a centimetre or two already, just don't want to stress the main shaft too much on the way out. Not a lot of space between the sump and front diff/crossmember, so I might undo the gearbox and push it back a little way too.

Found the pry bar. Unfortunately back at work tomorrow and walking into a busy start, so might get an hr or two next weekend.

Latest posts

Back