Dropping in the TD27T

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No physical progress at this stage, but have had success in getting a wiring diagram for the Auto, at least a wiring diagram from a Patrol. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable now about splicing the wiring looms rather than replacing (which would be a huge job, and would require some splicing anyway).

From the diagram below, you can see that most of the wiring is between the computer and the auto box, with only a limited number of connections to other units in the car (shown in yellow); namely:
*Throttle Position Sensor & Switch
*Revolution Sensor
*Overdrive switch
*Tacho
*Reversing Lamp (from the t-bar really)
*Starter Motor (what happens if you try and start an engine with the auto in D?)
*O/D and A/T Temp lamps on the dash
*Three fuses for various power connections

This diagram is not exactly right for the auto and computer I have, as the TD27T does not have its own ECU, so is probably for one of the petrol engines, but should give me enough of an idea that I can work it out form here. The speedo is also a mechanical drive, so no separate speedo sub unit as per the diagram. Mine also doesn't have cruise control or a Datalink connector (I think) , so they too are crossed out.

I've seen a reference to the tacho being driven from the EGR computer too, so I'll have to see how I connect that up, but I can live without a Tacho - have for the last 4 yrs anyway.

Anyone got any idea what sort of values the fuses might be?

TCM_Wiring_Diagramjpg.jpg

On the dash I have there are also lamps for each position of the auto selector (PRND12 etc)

Last edited:
Floods to the North, floods to the South. Nothing but blue skies here for the last few days :)

We're a bit blessed here. Had a category 3 cyclone go right through Prossy a few years ago and it did much less damage than ex-TC Oswald is wreaking at the moment.

Okay, physical progress!
Old manual gearbox out, replacement auto in!
And it looks like the existing driveshafts will bolt right on. Same spline count on the rear, and lengths seem good too. I used the crossmember from the Nav manual on the auto, and all seems to line up well.

Plugs on the the rear (4WD and ?) are different, 2 connector instead of single, but the tacho drive cable bolted right in smooth as silk.

Promised the in-laws they could have a car when they came to visit after Easter, so all I have to do before then is:
Mod aircon mounting plate
Drop in the engine
purchase and install new radiator
connect up exhaust
Connect fuel system
Lots and lots and lots of electrical work (auto ecu, glow plugs, starter system, alternator etc etc etc)
Change dash
put seats back in.

Something tells me I'll be on my pushy for a few days.

Last edited:
Engine now in engine bay!

Ended up modifying the TD27T aircon bracket to mount the original Z24 compressor. Cut off part of the top front mount as below

image-889360394.jpg

And the final result

image-3819472832.jpg

Still need to sort out the bottom mounts as the compressor and bracket mounts are out by 90 degrees. Picked up a couple of 90 degree bend bolts from the hardware store - no idea what they're normally used for, but I think they'll work we'll.

Poop. Neither gearbox crossmember will line up with the auto gearbox in the Navara. The Terrano auto one comes closest. I'm going to have to weld up the holes, and drill new holes in the crossmember.

But, not today. Off camping at Cape Hillsborough for a few days with friends. Will get cracking with it again on the weekend.

On a positive note, engine dropped right in to match up with existing engine mounts on the chassis.

Ha. Finally got the auto and engine all lined up and bolted in, and discovered the torque converter and drive plate out of alignment, so will have to pull the auto back a cm and try again.

For those at home following this, I ended up using the Terrano auto crossmember, but had to weld up the holes, and redrill holes to match the crossmember mounts on the Navara. In my usual style, had to reweld and drill the holes on the drivers side, being out by 5mm. Fair dinkum, if I did this for a job, I would have to charge my labour out at $1/hr, and I'd still struggle to compete :)

Bugger all. Work's been full on, as has cubby house building and fence building after an invasion in the yard by one of the neighbour's cows.

Holidays in a couple of weeks, so hopefully a bit more progress then.

Back