Dual batt set up portable

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggs

Reaction score
hi guys i have been reading thru posts here about dual battery set ups and i really need something i can take out of my car for camping the set up will be in the back tub of my d22 with 2 100ah battery's BATTERY 1 will power fridge freezer and BATTERY 2 will power lights and few other things when camping ...i really need some input am i heading in the right direction? and what would you change on this set up? (see pic below]..... battery 1 will have a ctek d250s charger also will have input volt meter for solar panel and output volt meter to fridge... battery 2 will have a little inverter for charging phone ect and couple banana terminals for led lighting and a volt meter and couple 12v lighter sockets... will having the fridge on solar during the day to help should i leave the 2 batterys connected or can i separate them how will this effect charging when one battery will have less charge then the other here is a ruff idea

my battery b.jpg

Last edited:
If one battery has less charge than the other, the "fuller" battery will send power to the other until they're at the same voltage.

There's no real harm in having this sort of setup, as long as both batteries are the same capacity.

Is the solar panel removable? If it were my setup, I'd make the solar panel follow the fridge, which is usually the largest consistent current draw.

If one battery has less charge than the other, the "fuller" battery will send power to the other until they're at the same voltage.

There's no real harm in having this sort of setup, as long as both batteries are the same capacity.

Is the solar panel removable? If it were my setup, I'd make the solar panel follow the fridge, which is usually the largest consistent current draw.

yes that is what i was planning have the car charge while driving and solar panel when set up camp charging fridge battery .. im sure 100ah is over kill for some led lighting on batt 2 but its always there if batt 1 has to go in car for top up what you think?
also looking at picture for batt 2 would have to have 40amp fuse after ctek in box 1 and another in box 2 ?

Last edited:
Only put fuses in where:

* you're protecting a device like the fridge
* you're protecting a cable run from potential damage causing a short

For short distances (eg where the batteries are side-by-side) you wouldn't bother - all you're doing is adding more electrical joins which just adds more places for the system to develop faults.

Latest posts

Back