dual batteries and snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron_moe

Reaction score
hey guys does anyone here know anyway to mount a dual battery under the bonnet while I also have a safari snorkel fitted ??? any other great ideas would be muchly appreciated thanks in my d22 STR 3lt turbo

try looking through peoples garages and build threads, should give you some ideas

Nah sorry mate but that one bolts to the fuel filter bracket, so can be used with either a safari or zd30 with the standard precleaner, they have one to fit a 12" battery for the yd25 snorkel but that wont fit a safari snorkel due to the intake pipe.

Once i fit my yd25 snorkel to my zd30 im going to fit the piranha battery tray to fit a 12" battery

ok cheers for
that mate. I don't
know alot about what batteries can run what but do you think the 8 inch will run a engel ok? or if my primary battery dies will the 8 inch be good enough to start the ute?

or maybe do you think it would work if I got a td25 intake pipe would fit the safari snorkel so I could fit the bigger tray?

ok cheers for
that mate. I don't
know alot about what batteries can run what but do you think the 8 inch will run a engel ok? or if my primary battery dies will the 8 inch be good enough to start the ute?

or maybe do you think it would work if I got a td25 intake pipe would fit the safari snorkel so I could fit the bigger tray?

nah sorry mate, ive only owned a 4b for just under 12months so not sure on what thes best batteries for dual battery setups. i dont think that you can use the yd25 intake duct on a safari snorkel as im fairly sure they use different holes in the firewall, so the yd25 wouldnt line up with the safari pipework thats inside your 1/4 panel. someone on here should be able to confirm or deny this however. and as for the battery sizes have a search through the forums as im sure there would be info on that somewhere.

I've no idea about the specifics for the dual battery with a Safari snorkel but thought I'd jump in on the battery issue.

Small batteries generally have small capacity, so they won't last forever. Also, a lead-acid battery charged by your car alternator usually won't have much more than 75% charge in it when you turn off your engine. If your battery is a flood cell battery, you'll only be able to use 25% of its rated capacity without damaging the battery (so if that's a 50Ah battery, you can use 12.5Ah). If it's an AGM battery, you'll have 55% of its capacity available. Don't bother with gel batteries, your car will kill it.

Why the difference? Lead acid batteries begin a process called sulphation once the charge level starts to drop. Below 50%, flooded cell batteries sulphate rapidly and the cells begin to degrade. AGM batteries don't suffer this until about 20% of charge.

I recommend that you get your Engel fridge and put a multimeter in Amps mode in series with the power lead and check the fridge to see what it draws. My 60L fridge draws 1.5A when cycling, which is not much at all, but it's an old unit and the newer compressors may be different.

One you have that figure, you'll know how much power you'll need to deliver. Let's say it draws 1.5A - so it will consume that for roughly half the time, so in a 24 hour period your fridge will draw 18A (1.5 * 24/2). 18A is more than the 50A will supply without some damage, so you'd want something a little bigger. I'd suggest for 18A (round it up to 20A) you'd want an 80Ah battery.

If you can fit that in the engine bay, that's great. If you want to run the thing for longer you might have trouble. With a canopy you have the option of putting a much larger unit in the tub.

Hope that helps a bit. There's a lot more discussion about batteries in other threads, including a stickied thread on dual batteries.

How are you isolating the battery from the starter battery?

G'day Aaron

I have an 04 D22 Jap 3l with a Nissan snorkel.

I have the aux. batt. as the piranha setup.

If you go too big you get too close to the turbo and cook the fuel filter. The battery I have in the std. setup will run my 40l fridge for about 24 hrs.

I would have liked a bigger battery, but it's not practical. I have replaced the battery recently, it sits pretty high. VERY close to the bonnet.

If you want to use the power in the tub, run the biggest wire you can there. If you can, put your auxiliary in the tub. Closer to the "action". I just have too much there already.

Good luck, Goldy

thanks heaps tony that was very very helpful for when It comes time to install. and
I'm not sure which way in going to go yet. I'm currently doing some research into freeing
up some
space under the bonnet to fit an 100ah battery under the bonnet. may take a couple mods but I think it can be done cheers. Aaron

Latest posts

Back