Dual battery question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V9x

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been put on the forum but I couldn't find anything.

I want to do a dual battery setup on my 2012 stx and I hate the idea of putting it in the tray and really don't like the chassis mount option either . I am considering putting the battery under the rear passenger seat where the removable tray is currently ,and also mounting an inverter behind the seat also . I was gonna run cable out to the tray so I can have some sockets out there also . I was thinking something like an optima sealed zero maintenance type battery .

Has this been done ? is this a bad idea ? Peoples Thoughts and suggestions please .

Cheers

Easy job mate fit up one of these 120ah agm's behind your seat works a treat and takes up little room.
John.

Attachments

• IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 533
So true what they say about it's all been done before lol . That looks great man! Is there anything that bothers you with it being there ?or anything you would have changed about it ?

That looks pretty neat John , i guess that's a benefit of having a duel cab , ive had to go the chassis option , but iam happy with that

Nothing bad to report i was sick of the big box in the tub i did do a heap of research on agm's in confined spaces but they are 100% safe.

Still fit recovery gear and compressor ect around it if you seach on the forum
for compact duel battery setup you will find the dimensions in a thread i did the contact details for the company are in that thread also i paid $320 back then delivered to my door.

You will just have to make up your own hold down brackets due to the odd size but that is a simple job,

Cheers
John

AGMs are SO good in confined spaces that the Australian regulations around mounting this style of battery inside recreational vehicles has changed so that it can be done in a non-ventilated space.

You actually have to either have a fault, or have a drastically high charge current/voltage, to cause enough pressure inside the AGM battery to open the valve. The alternator simply can't do it at all, so if you're charging from cabin power, you'll never see it happen (high charge rate will blow the fuse before it fizzes the battery).

I *have* seen one multistage charger deliver 19V to a battery. The charger's voltage sensing circuit had failed and the battery charger started delivering the (rectified) output of the switchmode power supply driving it. Oops. That battery is with the recyclers now, obviously. The charger is with its silicon deity.

I did notice though (at Fullriver's website) their MSDS still required a vented chamber for their AGM batteries, even though their batteries were listed as "approved" in Australia for installation in non-ventilated enclosures.

Personally I'd have no problem with it as long as there were no smokers in the car.

Easy job mate fit up one of these 120ah agm's behind your seat works a treat and takes up little room.
John.
Very Neat but wont work with the D40s, As the Seats fold differently.
s
Sorry if this has already been put on the forum but I couldn't find anything.

I want to do a dual battery setup on my 2012 stx and I hate the idea of putting it in the tray and really don't like the chassis mount option either . I am considering putting the battery under the rear passenger seat where the removable tray is currently ,and also mounting an inverter behind the seat also . I was gonna run cable out to the tray so I can have some sockets out there also . I was thinking something like an optima sealed zero maintenance type battery .

Has this been done ? is this a bad idea ? Peoples Thoughts and suggestions please .

Cheers

Check this out http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=173. The last 3 pages will be information for you as you will have a smart alternator.

Nothing bad to report i was sick of the big box in the tub i did do a heap of research on agm's in confined spaces but they are 100% safe.

Still fit recovery gear and compressor ect around it if you seach on the forum
for compact duel battery setup you will find the dimensions in a thread i did the contact details for the company are in that thread also i paid $320 back then delivered to my door.

You will just have to make up your own hold down brackets due to the odd size but that is a simple job,

Cheers
John

You have done a fantastic job and it seems as though it meets your needs . Its good that you can still fit all your gear in there as well , which was a concern of mine . Nice and safe inside the cab too ,a little bit harder for shitheads to pinch.
keeps the honest thieves out hahaha

Very Neat but wont work with the D40s, As the Seats fold differently.
s

Check this out http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=173. The last 3 pages will be information for you as you will have a smart alternator.

Thanks for that , very good info on there .

I'm thinking of laying the battery down and putting it where the removable trays are . I'm pretty sure it will fit.

Cheers

Unless your floor plane is different to the st I really dont think it will there really ant much room under there. And if you lift up the bottom of the back seat it pushes the back hard up on the back wall, so you can't have anything big behind there. You can buy slim line batteries under that may fit but be ready to pay big. With a Ute cover soft or hard no ones going to know what is in there still keeping the honest out.

I got to pull the baby seat out from the back and have a look . I took a few measurements today and I think your right , there ain't much room under the seat even with the tray removed. Once I get the baby seat out I was going to go to battery world and have a try with a few different battery's and see if one works . I'll post my results when I get round to it.

OK no worry. I have my jack in bag squished under there as to get to the jack you'd need to pull the baby seats out. Not a fun tasked on the side of the road. And the battery will be bolted to the side rails in the tub. I only have a soft cover on mine and never had any thing go missing. Do you plan on putting a canopy or anything on in the long term??

I see what your saying . I don't intend on putting a canopy on , already got soft cover . I usually have two bikes in the back when we go away , plus gear bags , saw , tools , general stuff . Space is at a premium these days . Oh and all the baby gear we bring too , nearly need a trailer for all that stuff alone .

Know what you mean about baby:dummy: gear I have 3 the oldest turns 4 in September. You'll be surprised with some careful packing how much will fit under that cover. I have always notice tho that I can fit my jumper pack in the space behind the wheel with no trouble if its the 1st thing I pack. That's why I plan on the battery been there and to be able to remove it if needed. What type of bikes we talking about?

Yeah kids can sometimes be a pain (in a good way of course : ) ) we like to call it Tetris ! My mrs is the champ and manages to fit everything in one way or the other . When I say bikes I mean dirt bikes , take up heaps of room + plus all the riding gear . I'm glad I only need one pair of clothes for most of our trips , much to my mrs disgust hahahaha

Hey there was a company making a tray that bolted into the wasted space on top of the wheel arch in the d40 only you could get up to 100 ah in there and it was out of the way i will see if i can find it.

You must struggle with 3 kids mate to fit all that gear : ) I'm lucky I only got the one but she's 7 months so needs crazy amounts of gear . Plus we get pretty thirsty when we are away so grog also takes up critical space too . Maybe a mobile chiller might be the go : )

Hey there was a company making a tray that bolted into the wasted space on top of the wheel arch in the d40 only you could get up to 100 ah in there and it was out of the way i will see if i can find it.

I have seen it , was thinking of fabricating one myself. just don't like having it in the tray . But I might end up having to do that . Be good for spotlighting and running inverter and leads if it was in the tray . Hmmmmm might not have a choice if I can't get a decent battery to fit under rear seat.

Well if you put the baby seat on the single seat and lift up the double there is your floor space for beer and baby shit maybe even a fridge. Side winder ( http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page158a.html ) does the battery tray that mounts on top of the wheel you can also find them on ebay take a look at this might be more your style http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx34/angusd/BatteryBox.jpg. Yeah More of a struggle fitting the 3 car seats in the back. Nissan say no it cant be done, but I did it.

Where theres a will there's a way ! I am coming round on the idea of wheel arch mount battery setup . I think running cabling will be simpler too , I can just follow the wiring from my rear bar mounted led .

Back