Dual Battery Questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leo d40

Reaction score
Hey all,

I know there is a million threads about this, but I'll +1 it :p

Bought a Redarc BCDC1225-LV yesterday and the appropriate 6B&S cable to run from the main battery to the redarc and then to the 2nd battery.

2 questions I have in regards to the install. When running power from the engine bay to the tub, I have previously run it to the right rear corner, up the tail light then through the same hole the blokes who installed the canopy made to run their power cable. Now for the new system, I want to put the battery and isolator right up against the front of the tub (closest to the cab) I can see a little entry point near the top corner of the tub but it looks way too small to run the cable through it without drilling a bigger hole. Is there any entry points that I haven't seen?

When connecting the units blue wire to ignition, is it best to splice in near the fuse box under the bonnet (obviously using a test light to figure out which one is an ignition wire) or is there a better spot? Going to buy the rest of the bits and pieces today and do the install tomorrow. Day trip on Saturday will give it a workout on the fridge.

If there are any pictures that you have relating to my 2 questions, it would be greatly appreciated :)

You have the method of finding the ignition-live wire correct, the IPDM/ER behind the battery is the best source for it.

I ran my cables up through the void above the wheel arch to the very top corner of the inside of the tub. Put a piece of rubber over the metal lip to prevent chafing.

Thanks for the response :) are you able to stick your head in that area and take a quick photo for me? I just want to get it right before making a hole

I ran mine through the grommet at the front of the tub where the tie down rail ends, if you run the cabling along the drivers side chassis rail it almost ends up at that grommet.

There's no need to drill and you can position the cabling out of the way neatly.

I've followed Old.Tony's advice and used an ignition wire from the IPDM/ER, works a treat.

Forgot to let you guys know how this went. Ran the cable on the drivers side chassis rail and into the tub through the grommet. Got ignition power from the wiring loom behind the battery. Wired it all up and works a treat. Used a fridge in it last weekend, driving each way 1hr and 30 mins topped the battery up from having the fridge run all day.

At some point I'll wire my inverter to it, and run some cabling to a few more 12v sockets in the tub

Hey Leo,

Great you got it working.. If you intend to used the REDARC with a solar panel then you will need to use the IGN wire to control a relay to switch between solar or alternator..

I used a piggy back fuse for the ign source from the fuse box under the bonnet.. Very easy no cutting into any wiring loom..

Cheers Bruce

Last edited:
Hope this may help..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 200
Is the ute body the only place or best place to fit a 2nd battery as I want to put one in but not sure where to put it .?

Depends on $ macnav. If you want, nice thin LiFePO4 batteries can be installed under your seats. You could get a cradle made up and mount the battery up under the tub (recommend to use VRLA-style "maintenance free" only, not flooded cell). It really depends where you want to have it, where it's convenient for you and how much you're throwing at it.

I have mine in a wooden box (reminder: rebuild the ruddy box) so that it sits over the right-hand wheel arch in the tub. I don't usually access things from that side (because it's the road side) - so it was a good place to shove something I'd rarely need to get to but still needed fairly easy access to. For instance, we went camping over the long weekend and I took my power boat with me. It's got a speed540 in it which I'm going to replace probably with a Jaguar twin-turn out of my racing car. I needed to charge the batteries for it - so the aux battery came in handy. If mine was under the tub I'd have been in trouble.

So it's really a case of looking at what you need to do with it, what you'd like to do with it and what you can afford to do with it.

Forgot to let you guys know how this went. Ran the cable on the drivers side chassis rail and into the tub through the grommet. Got ignition power from the wiring loom behind the battery. Wired it all up and works a treat. Used a fridge in it last weekend, driving each way 1hr and 30 mins topped the battery up from having the fridge run all day.

At some point I'll wire my inverter to it, and run some cabling to a few more 12v sockets in the tub

Where and what colour is the ignition wire behind the battery in our d40's
Cheers

Is the ute body the only place or best place to fit a 2nd battery as I want to put one in but not sure where to put it .?

I just fitted one under the tub.
N70T 100ah between the fuel tank and axle.
I have cut a hole in the tub behind the tail light for powering fridge and lights in the tub and I have an Anderson plug next to the towbar to feed the trailer.

Latest posts

Back