ECU ?thermostat?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicszd30

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if the d22 zd30 ecu has a thermo reader on the block somewhere and if so where would it be? I am led to believe that it is separate from the dash temp reader?
My mate hada Beamer' that all of a sudden started using fuel and he said "The most common cause of sudden high fuel consumption in a diesel is the maf sensor and or the egr thermostat. -EGR thermostat (I'm guessing he meant "reader switch") .. ?? any truth to this?? Do the navs have one?? cheers Vic

Last edited:
engine coolant sensor is the one you see on the front of the of the engine right hand side.

egr thermostat, i have heard of diesels that run a bypass of the egr cooler so they run hot egr in cold conditions. not applicable on this engine.

but they do have 2 temp sensors- right?
looks like just the one coolant temp sensor.
it must derive the gauge signal from the ecu.

then there is the air temp sensor and the fuel temp sensor in the IP.

i find it a little strange they put the temp sensor up the front so high up.
if the water level runs low or gets frothy, the temp sensor will read cooler.

looks like just the one coolant temp sensor.
it must derive the gauge signal from the ecu.

then there is the air temp sensor and the fuel temp sensor in the IP.

i find it a little strange they put the temp sensor up the front so high up.
if the water level runs low or gets frothy, the temp sensor will read cooler.

OK I found the one at the R/H/F of the engine on the water pump and it looks like this one when I take the lead off ?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221732255905 Soo your saying this feeds the ecu and the dash gauge? This is the cheapest I could find..
They also sell this one for the nav' zd30 No idea of where this one goes??Help Please?? - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191551638242 ??? could this one be the fuel one mentioned? would the fuel temp sender on the rear? of the I/P effect fuel consumption?
cheers vic

The second one might be for the Patrols, they have two oil pressure sensors were the Nav only has one, so they might have different temp sender to. The fuel temp sender is built in to the pump, i'd doubt it's replaceable. A faulty one would effect fuel consumption much. See if you can find someone local with ecutalk to hook it up and check the readings.

i might be wrong. i will have to check in the morning tho.

tridon shows a 2nd temp sensor in the parts list.
the manual shows a "thermal transmitter" in the electrical diagrams. this is located left hand side front of the engine. probably just above the IP.

6881650203_c99bbdd9a8_b.jpg

Last edited:
**** your good you 2 ! Yep that one in your pic tweak looks like the second one I posted. Danm hard to get to. There is 3 reasons I was looking at replacing these two senders thermostat and radiator cap. 1/ I'm doing as must "preventive" work as I can before I travel. 2/ the heater in mine could burn you "no shite"-the dash vent heats up the CB mic that much you cant hold it, I dont leave keys sunnies etc on the dash?? Don't get me wrong it's a great heater but frige me you could cook an egg by it! The dash gauge doesn't move over 1/3 of the way even on hot days so I was going to replace the thermostat. and 3/ was for the high fuel usage but tweak squashed that with he's info !
She's starts like a dream again and no smoke on start up after replacing the glow plugs but now it's just the fuel usage! and C/V boots, and front diff drop, and auto elecs, and and and
Are the heaters in these things just "that good"- seriously I bet I could cook on it! An egg that is not a "T" bone...

The second one might be for the Patrols, they have two oil pressure sensors were the Nav only has one, so they might have different temp sender to. The fuel temp sender is built in to the pump, i'd doubt it's replaceable. A faulty one would effect fuel consumption much. See if you can find someone local with ecutalk to hook it up and check the readings.

Howdy Rum, ha got my ecu talk last week! I don't trust this lap top so I was looking to buy a cheap tablet or alike just for the ecu talk and it's programme..

I know nothing about computers but i'm sure this one has a deep rooted bug in it that I cant kill - it would be just my luck if I used this one I would infect the nav's ecu and give that a virus lol I joke but going by my luck i'm not taking the chance! Seriously it's been one thing after another with the nav ;)
It's got me buggered why she eating fuel like she is? I am making up a compression tester out of one of the old glow plugs so a comp' test may give me some insight, I couldn't get the exact valve gap reading but some showed lower than what Tweake said where the measurements :( Valves recessing maybe??
cheers vic

Where's the pic from tweak- is that some thing your building???

no its just a pic i googled to show where the sensor is.
mine got taken over by work and i'm not allowed to mod it anymore :(
so i have a toyo to play with when i have spare time.

no its just a pic i googled to show where the sensor is.
mine got taken over by work and i'm not allowed to mod it anymore :(
so i have a toyo to play with when i have spare time.

Ahhh ok cool! not allowed to play with it any more ha I wish I could get to a stage where I don't have too!

Any thoughts on why mines hungry for fuel? Is it worth changing these sender/sensor units?
what was the heater in yours like? cheers vic

need to read ecu coolant temp sensor eg ecu talk or fit aftermarket gauge.
also pays to have egt gauge.

heater is fairly good, i wouldn't say its blistering hot. but its also hard to tell as mines single cab and the cab heats up a lot quicker than dual cabs.

no idea on your fuel consumption issue. really need to put everything in one thread so people can follow whats been done and checked.

yep will do - one post! It all new to me this -so thanks everyone for your patients and help.
I will do that Tweak- I have been meaning to up date my profile/garage etc. So I will write up some history and what's been done so far..

The heater thing- yeah mine gets way to hot -so that's why I was/am going to replace the thermostat ??? No shite you can't pick up a set of keys after 10 min... I should get a thermometer and try and get a reading to show you guys here lol seriously I have never had a heater like it and I've owned a shite load of utes- it would be great if you lived in the snow fields- you could drive round with the windows down !

Latest posts

Back