Egr mod will it help at boat ramp?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40 rx

Reaction score
I have a 2009 D40 RX 50,000km manual Thai built tray top. It tows the boat well on the flat but at the boat ramp it is very hard to get back up ramp. I have tried with Hi4 / Lo4 on and it still needs to be reved / clutched up ramp. It is also like this in 2wd if you have to start from 1st gear up a hill (less the cluthching.) Would a blanking plate help?

I have a 2009 D40 RX 50,000km manual Thai built tray top. It tows the boat well on the flat but at the boat ramp it is very hard to get back up ramp. I have tried with Hi4 / Lo4 on and it still needs to be reved / clutched up ramp. It is also like this in 2wd if you have to start from 1st gear up a hill (less the cluthching.) Would a blanking plate help?

No it wont help as the EGR valve is closed anyway. Trade it in for an auto.

How bigs your boat?! I pop mine into 4LO and crawl out pretty easily. My boats 22ft fibreglass half cab. So pretty heavy. 2WD is not an option for me at the boat ramp.

How bigs your boat?! I pop mine into 4LO and crawl out pretty easily. My boats 22ft fibreglass half cab. So pretty heavy. 2WD is not an option for me at the boat ramp.

Yea but this is the D22 you are talking about, they can do anything, OP has a D40 :S

A blanking plate will help your engine and is a MUST DO....BUT not for your problem above..

are u sure your low range is locking in double check on the dash and listen for the click/cluck noise when it locks in, there have been a couple of people on this site that thought they were in low range but were not you shouldnt have any trouble pulling it in low range,also it will pull a lot beta of the mark if the engine warm.

Short answer: yes it will help, but NOT for your issue (echoes Krankin).

As Longy says, you need to be sure you're actually in 4LO. In 4LO, your car should be able to pull a small truck up the boat ramp and barely notice it.

In the manual gearbox: engage neutral, press foot on brake, shift into 4LO. You will hear a clunk as it engages. Once engaged, 3rd gear will feel like hi-range 1st. Try it without towing.

I wouldn't ride the clutch too much. If it gets too hot, the dual mass flywheel will overheat and scorch the clutch, destroying it.

The EGR mod affects mid-range throttle only. At idle and full throttle, the EGR valve is closed anyway. Improvement in response throttle & turbo, power and fuel economy may be noticeable but are very marginal and certainly nowhere like the kind of boost you get by installing a chip.

Oh, and if you're thinking about a chip ... get a single-mass (solid) flywheel and HD clutch first, or the next thing you'll curse over is the D40 stranded on the boat ramp with a burnt clutch.

That sounds strange, I tow construction mesh in full packs with a cable in low range around the site through limestone a piece of piss. Get it checked out.

Latest posts

Back