Egr problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew_man

Reaction score
Ok I have egr pipe blocked and the other day when I was driving along I heard a big bang then a lot of knocking and ticking.

I found the problem to be the pipe had blow apart at the compression joint between the motor amd fire wall where it just comes out on the exhaust I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and can I just block it where it comes out there next to the turbo

As far as i know you can block it off at any point from where it joinsto the turbo manifold to the intake manifold (someone else on here might be ableto confirm this). Although if you go into the d22 engine section and read both of the sticky threads on blocking the egr in atleast one of them one of the forum members says about blocking it off at the exhaust manifold so that all the egr goes out the exhaust not get trapped in the pipe that goes to the intake manifold.

Ok I have egr pipe blocked and the other day when I was driving along I heard a big bang then a lot of knocking and ticking.

I found the problem to be the pipe had blow apart at the compression joint between the motor amd fire wall where it just comes out on the exhaust I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and can I just block it where it comes out there next to the turbo

Can you please post some pics up?

Yours is first i've read with this problem. Im about to do the mod very soon, although will be blocking both ends up. Keen to see what happened.

Cheers Pete

It's extraordinarily unlikely to have blown the pipe (not impossible, just extraordinarily unlikely). The pressure does build up in the pipe - should never be higher than the thing was designed to handle, because at full throttle the EGR valve should be closed and acting exactly the same as if you'd blocked it off anyway, so the pipe is engineered to withstand that.

It's possibly caused by some deterioration in the metal caused by either fatigue or corrosion.

Anyway, the short answer is yes, you can block it off at the turbo end of the pipe. It only needs to be blocked at ONE end and we usually use the other end because it's easier to get to, but the turbo end is the end it should be blocked at. There's no flow in the pipe once the other end is blocked off, but it will fill up with soot.

You should not remove the other end's block now. If the pipe between is not intact, when the EGR valve opens it will suck atmosphere in - or let boost pressure out. You don't want either to occur - the engine is counting on a certain amount of airflow (measured in the air intake) so that it provides the right amount of fuel. Allowing more air in, or boost out, changes the mix and makes the motor less efficient.

I've had the EGR blocked at the inlet manifold for 40 000k and not had any problems. I think i read a post on the patrol forum about someone cracking their pipe in the same spot as yours but thats the only other one i've heard of.

mine broke at the weld on the exhaust side. probably been cracked for quite some time. i'm surprised yours made a big bang etc. mine simply gave large amounts of exhaust roar and boost went to zero !

i made a plate and bolted the end over it.

I have the d40 YD25 and blocked the EGR at the inlet end. Curious I opened the blocked off end after only about 500k's and there was a little moisture against the plate. This may be the reason the pipe corroded???

Latest posts

Back