Egr + swirl mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARENTSEN_11

Reaction score
G'day just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience....??
I did the mod everything seemed to be ok no major notice.
Same fuel consumption until i hooked onto a pretty descent sized horse float loaded with camping gear and way too much shit that girls like to bring...total weight between 2200kgs - 2400kgs.
She sucked the FAT 19.5 litres - 20 litres per 100kms
Usually when loaded with 2 horses and camping gear weighing a touch over 3000kgs.
I know legally its only allowed to tow 2800kgs...but it has used in the past between 14 litres -14.5 litres per 100kms any sugestions...????

you mention swirl mod.....did you do the main butterfly mod or just the swirl valve?

assuming you did the mod ok, i would check air filters.
one catch with the mod is you use more air so air filters clog up quicker. i've been caught out myself.

4 days before i done a service...replaced
oil + oil filter
fuel filter
cleaned air filter that was new 5000kms ago
that is why i am stumped....
I have a rapid chip and the only other thing i can think of is that is is being spazmotic...i seemed too haul ass up some steep hils in top gear and sometimes over a little crest i was having to go back 2 gears...window was down whole trip wind drag wasn't the problem...5 people in the car witnessed what was going on...real weird

4 days before i done a service...replaced
oil + oil filter
fuel filter
cleaned air filter that was new 5000kms ago
that is why i am stumped....
I have a rapid chip and the only other thing i can think of is that is is being spazmotic...i seemed too haul ass up some steep hils in top gear and sometimes over a little crest i was having to go back 2 gears...window was down whole trip wind drag wasn't the problem...5 people in the car witnessed what was going on...real weird

so you had a loaded nav, towing a 3T horse float (so around 5.5-6T combined mass?), and you're complaining about 14l/100km?

(EDIT: where'd i get 14/100 from? i'm a spaz., but yes 19/100 is a fair increase in consumption. the chip will not help your case at all, as it's only job is to pour more fuel into the engine. did oyu have your front hubs locked in? that'll add some resistance to teh drive train, but you're biggest contributor to teh your fuel is most probably this chip, especially if you're trying to force the truck and trailer up hills in 5th gear, that will definitely suck down the juice

i'd be pretty happy with that myself., when i first got my truck i could only just squeeze in under teh 10l/100k makr on a long highway run, then came the mods, 80 series airbox and EGR mod raised me up to around the 11-12l/100k around town mark, though i have seen figures up at 13l/100k. then the chip only pushed it higher, a body lift and suspension lift only worsened the whole thing as well.

now, i can only just squeeze in under 12l/100km on a long high way stretch, with nothign but myself and a bag of clothes in teh truck.

Last edited:
thanks for that joshman...just seemed funny that with more weight in the past it was getting around 14.5 -15 L/100kms and now after doing the mod couldn't really notice any chance other than worse on diesel...around19-20L/100kms

no problem mate, there's alot of factors that will affect your fuel economy, and it's no small feat for a small 3.0l engine to haul 5.5T.

the only other person i have seen complain of increases fuel consuption after doing egr etc had a hot pipe right in front of the air intake.
blocking egr and doing butterfly mod does put more reliance on turbo performance and intake restriction. so blocked filter or increased air temps will effect performance.

any idea on what he boost was doing?

i would go check your intake system again.
also check that you have no exhaust manifold leaks. the egr pipe is known to crack, especially at the exhaust end under the heat shield, and a small leak can effect fuel economy.

otherwise post some pics of the butterfly mod just in case you missed something.

last minute thought.... what exhaust do you have? possible blocked up cat or exhaust?
16psi at cruise sounds like to much even with that loads. what speed where you doing?

Back