Engine and valvetrain problems in D40 Diesels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the crux of the matter. This is the first we've heard of these failures, and there are quite a few members here with D40s of that vintage. If this was a problem experienced by a reasonable percentage of the owners, then you'd fully expect them to come to a place like this and have a good few words to say about it.

That's why I was thinking it was a local phenomenon. If there are reports of it happening further afield then I would start to be concerned and begin looking to see if there were some preventative measures that could be taken.

Until we get some more information from other sources further afield, I will simply continue to watch this thread with interest. And maybe drive a little more gently.

Were they all hire cars or ex hire cars ?

There is a local guy here who hire cars and never services them, 40,000km's and they get traded in.

He has told me that himself, Id never ever buy a ex hire car.

Dave.

Well, I took off the oil filler cap at idle, the engine had cooled down for 2 hours after coming home from work, I let it idle for about 1 minute, then unsrewed the cap,.

The result was just a fine mist, no need for a faceshield!. IMO it seemed fairly normal, and I have no doubt with a bit of a rev, oil would have gone every where. My engines done 50K and is getting serviced next week, last oil change 10K ago, Castrol Magnatec.

Hey guys i see around 20 to 30 d40/r51/d22 i have seen plenty of issues but lack of oil pressure isnt one of them and i cant say ive seen any of the other mechanics were i work with oil pressure related issues and i also see a crap load of mine cars so its not like they are geting babyed around
regards dan

Well, I took off the oil filler cap at idle, the engine had cooled down for 2 hours after coming home from work, I let it idle for about 1 minute, then unsrewed the cap,.

The result was just a fine mist, no need for a faceshield!. IMO it seemed fairly normal, and I have no doubt with a bit of a rev, oil would have gone every where. My engines done 50K and is getting serviced next week, last oil change 10K ago, Castrol Magnatec.

my quip was meant as a friendly warning ...

glad you only got misted ... :rock:

i'm wondering whats failed to require a head change.

Good point (and well spotted). Valve train failure would result in valves smacking pistons, you'd need to re-sleeve the valve guides and replace the valves and pistons and maybe hone the bore. There doesn't look to be any slip bearings supporting the camshafts - it looks like the cams run directly in the head. If you wreck the camshaft by lack of upper engine lubrication, you'd either have to repair that by using sleeve bearings or replace the head.

I've no idea how difficult the diesel head would be to make those changes.

He complimented me and I apologised for my incorrect age reference I don't see naughty but then I am a clown so what would I know (at least I'm not a knob).

Chrome dome I am sure that the cars have their issues, its just that most of us have been around these forums and other for a fair while now and haven't heard a word of this supposed widespread problem. For my sake I hope your contacts are wrong, I don't particularly want the expensive repair bill!

For my thoughts, it has got to be something locality related, I just can't see any other reasoning. Especially with ralphn saying he hasn't seen any issues, and I asked my mechanic who also services a fair few of them, and he hasn't heard of it either.

Its good that we are aware of a possible problem though to keep an eye out.

Well it seems the smart people went out and got themselves the D22 - 06 model. :sarcastic:

Hey, hey, hey you!....show some respect there sonny.

its TOP knob to you.

Apologies Krankin I was just so rattled at being called a clown I wasn't thinking straight

Hehehe

:idea: there's a job for you when you retire the salon.

Bugger that I'm incorporating both jobs together, if they can have clowns that go to hospital and make people feel better then they can have clowns that cut hair and make people feel better....and if you saw some of the hairdos I create you know why I need the clown suit.

Latest posts

Back