Engine light on but runs fine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam79

Reaction score
hi all, my names adam, im from maitland in nsw and ive been on the forum for awhile now and l have learnt quite abit about my navara.
this is my first time posting as i have been through every page of the d40 threads and havent found anything to help yet.

i have a 07 auto nav and so far after reading on here about the egr mod i have done mine and was rather impressed with the results, i even did my mates navara.

anyway i just bought a CHIPIT chip from a mates mate that sold his navara (which was a 07 auto) he had the chip set on setting 7, ive installed the chip and its amazing the difference it makes but after a few drives ive got a engine light on...

the car has not gone limp it just has a light on.i've reset afew times but keeps happening. i thought maybe setting 7 may be to high for my car so i disconnected the chip till i can borrow a mates laptop to go to a lower setting. but after 2 days of no chip the light has come on again?

is there a way to do a diagnostic on the nav without buying a tool (in a commodore yuo can use a paper clip).

could this be chip related since its doing it without the chip now?
could it be as simple as not having reset the service reminder after doing my own services?

Mate there are quite a few people on here in your area who probably have the scan tools so I'd try and tee up a meeting with them to see what the code is.

From reading on here it may be the egr block that's causing the light. How long have you had it blocked for? Quite a few people have had to drill a hole in their plate. Maybe take the plate out and drive it for a few days and see if the light comes back again?

ok cool i thought it was more the 550 stx v6 motor that needed the hole in it but might be worth a look,

It may nit be the problem, I'm just guessing. Without being able to pull the codes its hard to tell. I think there is a procedure to bridge pins on the obd port but I'm not sure what it is... I think there was a thread in the d40 section recently about how to do it, maybe look in there

Can I suggest that you remove the negative terminal from you battery and press the brake pedal......this will reset everything. A reboot of the ECU may fix it for you. It is highly unlikely that it will be the EGR block that's causing any problem and the ECU in pre 2010 models does not sense restriction in the EGR.

yes i have reset it afew times thats why im trying to find out how to fix it not reset it. it seams to me it would be something simple otherwise it would go into limp mode

Hi Adam welcome to the forum.

Not wanting to sound grumpy but if you have read all the pages on D40's you would know that there is a procedure for both resetting the ECU and reading the codes. It's been mentioned quite a few times. Also you should have read the procedure for resetting the service interval tool.

Right rant over.

As said above the blanking of the EGR valve will not throw up a code on your model as it's not monitored. My old 07 has got 244,000km and my new 2012 has got 30,000km both having there EGR's blocked (no holes required) and not causing any problems.

To help you out the way to reset the service tool do this:
Turn the ignition on and the little spanner and distance to next service (or past next service) shows.

Before it changes to the trip meter push and hold in the reset button until the numbers flash.

With numbers flashing wind the reset button (clockwise I think) to advance (anticlockwise) to decrease the service interval. It only goes up or down in 1000k increments.

And to reset the ECU and get the codes do this:
Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds.

PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....

With foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...

After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

The Nav is now in diagnostics mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. Then press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds - this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc and put them into learning mode.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... It will flash slow first followed by 3 fast times. each flash relates to a number. Count the flashes and post the result and someone will tell you what to look for.

The other option is to get your hands on a code reader or there is a code reading app for smart phones you can get but you'll also need an OBII adaptor

Last edited:
Hi Adam welcome to the forum.

Not wanting to sound grumpy but if you have read all the pages on D40's you would know that there is a procedure for both resetting the ECU and reading the codes. It's been mentioned quite a few times. Also you should have read the procedure for resetting the service interval tool.

Right rant over.

As said above the blanking of the EGR valve will not throw up a code on your model as it's not monitored. My old 07 has got 244,000km and my new 2012 has got 30,000km both having there EGR's blocked (no holes required) and not causing any problems.

To help you out the way to reset the service tool do this:
Turn the ignition on and the little spanner and distance to next service (or past next service) shows.

Before it changes to the trip meter push and hold in the reset button until the numbers flash.

With numbers flashing wind the reset button (clockwise I think) to advance (anticlockwise) to decrease the service interval. It only goes up or down in 1000k increments.

And to reset the ECU and get the codes do this:
Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds.

PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....

With foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...

After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

The Nav is now in diagnostics mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. Then press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds - this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc and put them into learning mode.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... It will flash slow first followed by 3 fast times. each flash relates to a number. Count the flashes and post the result and someone will tell you what to look for.

The other option is to get your hands on a code reader or there is a code reading app for smart phones you can get but you'll also need an OBII adaptor

yes cheers for that mate this morning i had reset the service tool in hope that that is all the problem is. so far the fault has not come back on so fingers crossed..

i have been searching for the diagnostic info that you have givin me so thank you very much for that, i will use it if it comes back on.
and maybe one of these ob11 adaptors might be worth a look as there is heaps on here about them.
thanx again

Hey Adam, I'm, in Morpeth and have a scan tool if you need me to check the codes. PM Me if you need. Check the connection to the MAP sensor behind the grill. Make sure it's dry and clipped in correctly.

Hey Adam, I'm, in Morpeth and have a scan tool if you need me to check the codes. PM Me if you need. Check the connection to the MAP sensor behind the grill. Make sure it's dry and clipped in correctly.

thank you very much for that if it comes back ill give you a call, map sensor does seam a bit dickie like its not clipping properly, ill have a play with that too

Latest posts

Back