Engine loosing power D40 Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicanddianna

Reaction score
Wife drove the D40 (2.5 diesel with auto trans) on the freeway with cruise control set at 90kph the engine suddenly lost power and she was only able to maintain 60 KPH for a couple of kilometers before pulling off the freeway, no warning lights came on (no overheating) stayed in the carpark for a few minutes with engine switched off. Started engine again it then seemed to rev OK then proceeded home back along the freeway with no further problems. Anyone got an idea what the problem may be ?:idea:

Ask Nissan do to a check and see if anything was reported, just because there was no lights doesn't mean the ECU didn't record it. Might just be a glitch or something they can't explain but at least they should be able to tell you something.

Talking to a mate who has a D40 the other night. He had a similar problem. Lost all power and was running like crap, blowing white smoke he reckons. Turned her off and waited for road side assist, by the time they turned up it was running fine again.

If it's blowing white smoke there's a bucketload of unburnt fuel being dumped in the exhaust, like a CAT reductant supply without the CAT using it, or a DPF regen not happening properly. We know if you don't get the pressure and O2 sensors in the right spot after removing the DPF/CAT you'll get white smoke every so often, but the reports of this didn't include a lack of power.

There could be an injector issue - perhaps there's been a little water in the fuel, or maybe some poorly-produced bio or just some junk that's made it through the filter and caused the injector to either open up too much or be held open too long. It's also possible that the fuel rail pressure sensor is reading incorrectly. It might also be the crank angle sensor with either a bit of debris on it, or it's loose.

Like Krafty said, take it to Nissan and get them to have a poke at it.

Hi Guys
Firstly thanks for the feedback. There was no grey smoke from the exhaust, I suspect the problem may be water or dodgy fuel purchased from United and Liberty service stations I don't know if they mix diesel with something else what are other peoples feelings.
I have noted that the engine does not idle as smoothly as normal using their fuels, I might stick to the big brands to see if it makes a difference !

Hi Guys
Firstly thanks for the feedback. There was no grey smoke from the exhaust, I suspect the problem may be water or dodgy fuel purchased from United and Liberty service stations I don't know if they mix diesel with something else what are other peoples feelings.
I have noted that the engine does not idle as smoothly as normal using their fuels, I might stick to the big brands to see if it makes a difference !

i hope this doesnt come acroos the wrong way, personally i would never buy diesel from any of those servos. i feel a bit safer filling up at the servos that trucks use. imo with the high turn over of diesel you will normally get cleaner fuel.if i cant get to one i will use the premium diesel that most of the big three now sell. so far over the last 7 years of owning diesel 4x4's it seems to have worked (touch wood)

This could be a number of things and if you do a search on 'power loss' you will get a hit on at least 2 x D40 threads discussing this issue.

i have herd of this before ! i belive it's related to the dpf and the dpf sensor. have a couple of mates with autos and they also have had this problem !

Hi All - Had car serviced today, fault code for O2 sensor, cleaned sensor and changed fuel filter. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

You trucks went into limp mode. If it does again, turn off and restarting the engine fixes it 95% of the time.
Unfortunately for the other 5% its a tow to your nearest Nissan dealer.

Hi Guys - FINAL RESOLUTION - Took vehicle to NISSAN the fault was in the fuel pump suction valve $480.00 diagnosis & fitting of new valve - Thanks for the help !

Latest posts

Back