Engine noise when towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout

Reaction score
G'day I have a 2010 D40 manual 95,000 km purchased 2nd hand 6months ago my first diesel. Recently while towing my pop top caravan around 2t, I noticed a noise similar to a ticking or tapping which seemed to be coming from the drivers side of the engine while in 5th gear on the flat sitting on 90-95kms /h this lasted a short while and disappeared it is the 2nd time I have heard this now only while towing and in 5th gear, anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Welcome to the forum.

It's possibly a leaky EGR. Unlikely that it's a boost leak, but there's a possibility that something's wrong with the cooling fan too. In mine, I had that odd noise coming from my air box. Here's how to check them all.

EGR: it's the gold pipe that wraps around the front of the engine from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold. Look for black soot sprayed from it.

Boost: check the piping between the turbo and the intercooler, then the intercooler to the intake manifold, looking for black oil coming out.

Fan: examine the back of the radiator. If you see any circular marks, you know the fan's been rubbing so something is wrong with at least one blade.

Air Box: check the cover on the side nearest the engine. Mine broke loose and at certain throttle applications mine sounded like a noisy diesel rattle, we thought it might have been timing chains!

Latest posts

Back