Engine oil black on New 2.5CR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz4wd

Reaction score
Guys have a new D22 with 2000km on the clock. Went away for long weekend and noticed the oil low warning at startup. Went to check the oil and found it was black, not golden. I also had to add 500ml. Its not leaking or blowing smoke. Is this normal? This is my first diesel so its somewhat new to me.

The oil in my D40 was low when I checked it before the 1000k service. I had it changed at 1000ks anyway & it has about 19,000ks on it now & does not use any appreciable amount of oil. I reckon that they might not be too generous with the oil from the factory.

After the 10,000k service I checked the oil & noticed it was black. I actually wondered whether they had in fact changed it. Maybe there was a bit of old stuff left in the sump or maybe it just goes black quickly.

I would not worry at this stage. Have you had it in for the 1,000 check?

Last edited:
Bit of oil consumption when new is not to much to worry about at this stage. Keep an eye on it tho.

As to the oil turning black fast. You can probably blame the good ol Exhaust Gas Recirculation for that. A lot of guys on here block the thing off and there is heaps of info on this forum on how to do it.
Oil in mine (D40) discoloured fast. I blocked off the EGR @ 1500K's and changed the oil and filter @ 2000. Now has 3,000K on it. Oil has only slightly discoloured since.

Edit: Just in case there is somthing wrong make a log of date, K's and how much oil you have added. Include things like the low oil warning light coming on and type use for the truck. If you have to make a claim on anything it may help.

Last edited:
My 2.5 the oil turns black like 10km after its been changed

*shrugs* never had low oil though, infact its never burnt any oil at all.

oil tuning black quickly is fine, all diesels do it, due to high amounts of carbon, doesn't mean it needs changing though

Guys thanks for the responses. Im feeling better now. I have to admit the car was working hard for 4 days. We went up Billy Goats and a few other long steep tracks and came out at Dargo. Its had the 1000km check however I'd be amazed if they actually did anything.
On the day the oil low warning came on it was 30+ degrees with a lot of moderate driving. When I later checked the dip stick I'd accidentally put in a little too much oil. Maybe it was the steep tracks getting the oil to not sit right? Plus guessing from factory they put just enough oil to get the car out. If its not changed or topped up at 1000km then I can imagine why the warning would come up.

Just to be clear, its not the oil pressure light on the dash, its the oil message you get on the LCD when starting the car.

yeah i had that come up when i changed my oil, i put the same amount back in that came out and the "oil low" message came up (couldn't get rid of it), it turns out if you open the drivers door with low or no oil it triggers it and wont register that there is enough oil there when its back, had to disconnect both batteries to get it to reset, possibly you opened the door with engine off when it was sitting in a way that the oil drained away from the sensor and that's what happened??

yeah i had that come up when i changed my oil, i put the same amount back in that came out and the "oil low" message came up (couldn't get rid of it), it turns out if you open the drivers door with low or no oil it triggers it and wont register that there is enough oil there when its back,..............??

You know what thats probably exactly what happened. Who would of thought a person needs to open the drivers door to check oil? :-D

haha it is a bit silly isn't it, you could climb out the window i guess, or if you have gymnast experience.. over the other side lol

should be right, mine has a little more than it should aswell, nearly 5000km its been there 4

Thanks. A mate told me it will eventually burn off the extra. Coming from a life with Petrol powered trucks this diesel thing is new to me.

I gotta say though the truck impressed me on this 4 day trip out. Coming from a 4.5lt GU Patrol I wasn't expecting much. Only thing I miss now is the live axle. Other than this the Nav pulls up really well in 4 low

Thanks. A mate told me it will eventually burn off the extra. Coming from a life with Petrol powered trucks this diesel thing is new to me.

I gotta say though the truck impressed me on this 4 day trip out. Coming from a 4.5lt GU Patrol I wasn't expecting much. Only thing I miss now is the live axle. Other than this the Nav pulls up really well in 4 low

not to mention you only need to take like half the fuel on trips

Exactly. The Patrol had a lot of power but man did it need a lot of fuel, & with the drive by wire on the Nav I get no wheel spin on the steep climbs. The Patrol used to spin every time I hit a bump & my foot moved on the accelerator. The Nav climbed up nice and slow like a mountain goat.

i know about the thirst of a petrol patrol, my mums has a 93 ford maverick (patrol with ford badges lol) and its ridiculous how much fuel it uses but has plenty of power

Latest posts

Back