Engine Squeak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black beast

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I am hearing a problem with the engine everytime I turn it or off. Sometimes if goes away and sometimes it doesn't. At first I though it was a queaky fan belt but I've just had a look at it and it seems that's not the case. Any ideas of what is could be?

Cheers, Cookey.

Well the poof noise if you look at the butterfly vacuum housing on top of manifold. This releases then you turn the engine off, and you will hear a gently pop/poof noise. Get someone to turn the engine off while you view.

as for squeak, not sure what you mean

Cheers mate I'll have a look. I'm a complete novice at all this engine stuff, but I hooked on learing everything I can at the moment :)

What model engine? Zd30 or yd25? Sure it's from engine?

Just noticed your from rocky as well.

ZD30 mate. And in all honesty I don't know. It started the other day when I put it in to get a full body detail and they cleaned the engine bay (lots of mud there from a few adventures). I though it may have been the fan belt from the shit they sprayed on it but the belt stops as soon as the engine is cut and the noise keeps going for a good 2 or so seconds after the engine it cut.

Then I thought it may have been the turbo, but i turned the car on and off so I could have a look at it, it still made the noise with no throttle which means no spool so I've ruled that out as well.

Now I'm just confused so I asked you guys haha.

Yeah I'm a Rocky boy :) should plan a trip sometime.

The turbo is spinning whenever the engine is running even if it's not spinning fast enough to make much boost ie not spooling, so it spins even at idle and slightly after engine is shut down, don't rule it out just because of no throttle application.

check the turbo yourself. Get a 12mm spanner and take the front 45 degree inlet pipe of the turbo. Grab the center nut and give it a good shake. It should just wiggle like 0.5mm at most.

So many things that could come under a squeak. Give a bit more detail. Does the engine make this noise at any other period.

If you want to rule out the belt. then take it off via the tension-er. Use torque wrench and 19mm. Start and see if its gone.

Then progress to more complex things. Just start cheap and work from there.

Cheers mate, I'll try that tomorrow arv. If I supplied a video of what is going on with sound and everything, do you think that would help in figuring out what's going on?

Cheers.

I told my mate about the noise and he reckons its probable the bearings in the turbo. How much to fix? Or is it easier to get a new trubo? And what is the worst possible outcome?

I will try to get that video up this arv so if you could have a look for me that would be great.

Cheers.

thats a big jump.

New turbo ranges from 650 to 1500 depending if on where you buy and what brand. Plenty of ebay turbos both japanese and chinese that are cheap.
Or you can get a genuine Hitachi one from nissan or a exchange (swap over) rebuild hitachi with billet comp wheel for around 1250 off ebay.

There are other options as well just depends on how much you want to spend. Before you just to conclusions rule out the other possible things first. Post a video up and Give a better explanation of the noise.

Id only go the rebuilt genuine or a brand new Nissan item.

Not worth the risk on a few hundred bucks.

I went to take the video this arv but.... no noise. Just gone. I can't figure it out. Thanks for the help so far fellas, and if it starts again you'll be the first to know.

Cheers, Cookie.

Hey fellas,

Bad news. The squeak is back already. But this time I have more info on it. It seems to be coming from the right side of the engine bay and it only happens when the engine is cold. I have attached 2 videos of the sound, one with the hood up and one with it down. Video isn't much good as I was focusing on trying to get the sound. The first one starts to the right of the fan then up near the turbo then to the left of the fan. The second one starts on the left of the hood then on the right. It's hard to hear it over the engine but it sounds like a squeaky fan belt but more "scratchy". Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers, Cookey.

P.S. Soory about the horrible imbeding, still getting the hang of it.
P.S.S. Gotta click on the pic to get the video =/[URL=http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/nav94/?action=view&current=651c7319.mp4] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/nav94/?action=view&current=1577dd2b.mp4] [/URL]

Hey mate I get a squeak from mine every time I turn it off and it shits me!! I can't put my finger on it!! If you find out what it is please do let me know haha cheers mate

Squeak noise

Wassup, I've had that same squek noise myself , take it to the mechanic and get him to replace ur fan Belt and fan belt tensioner Pulley, the things aren't too cheap , probably around 300 bucks just for the tensioner . I love My navara has nearly done 200,000 and still going strong !

Latest posts

Back