Engine/turbo damaged?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynndog

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was doing a look over on my Navara and I took the intake pipes off to clean around the turbo as it has developed a bit of a noise (louder whine than usual).

I was looking for any thing obvious in the entrance to the turbo inlet.

On doing so I noitced that the re was a fait amount of dust inside the intake, oiled up.

On the underside of the intake tube, pre turbo, it has split and opened up.

Now this makes sense to me; about 8-10 weeks ago I went 4Wding after coming back from the Gib trip and went through a puddle. It caused the truck to almost stall and a lot of white smoke etc.

What I want to know is what damage I may have caused, especially damaged areas I can't see.

I have no idea of knowing how long it has been like this but I suspect pre Kimberly at the minimum, so May.

Thanks

Does the motor knock?, generally those Hitachi turbos squeal before they let go. The noise gets louder with time.

No knocking or anything just a louder turbo squeal starting at about 5 psi and up through to 10. It then either can't be heard or stops.

Have you removed the piping post turbo to see if that looks the same? If it is still fairly clean I'd probably replace the turbo and hoses. Have you got an intercooler fitted to it?

Pull the ali elbow of the front of your turbo and take a macro photo, then zoom in and look for wear on the impellor blades, it might be out of balance.

Attachments

• IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 103
I've got my original turbo sitting in a box if your interested, has 105 000 km on it - nothing wrong with it , just upgrade to a Forefront one who i'd also recommened for a new replacement at a good price.

I've got my original turbo sitting in a box if your interested, has 105 000 km on it - nothing wrong with it , just upgrade to a Forefront one who i'd also recommened for a new replacement at a good price.

PM me mate

hi flynn

you can clearly see the small chunks missing from the wheel on the edges of the fins....generally on say a truck turbo these wouldnt worry the turbo to much....but on the ht12 these can be extremely bad and be the last straw and the start of a wheel explosion.

you can also see those leading edges are supposed to be straight all the way to the compressor inlet ( see pictures attached by rumpig) yours has a rounded edge that meens over the last 10 yrs those tiny bits have been breaking off slowly...the next stage is a larger chunk falling off then the wheel will split instantly ( due to being unbalanced)

your engine will be fine so far.

as always I tell people to take anything to do with a ht12 very seriously....I get a call once a week from someones turbo going through motor.

hi flynn

you can clearly see the small chunks missing from the wheel on the edges of the fins....generally on say a truck turbo these wouldnt worry the turbo to much....but on the ht12 these can be extremely bad and be the last straw and the start of a wheel explosion.

you can also see those leading edges are supposed to be straight all the way to the compressor inlet ( see pictures attached by rumpig) yours has a rounded edge that meens over the last 10 yrs those tiny bits have been breaking off slowly...the next stage is a larger chunk falling off then the wheel will split instantly ( due to being unbalanced)

your engine will be fine so far.

as always I tell people to take anything to do with a ht12 very seriously....I get a call once a week from someones turbo going through motor.

Thanks. It is actually very difficult to notice the damage from looking, not unitl you take a pic they become apparent.

I guess for now I will grab a second hand one and look to get one of yours next year

Latest posts

Back