Extra Leaf in 2012 D22 - Travelling

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoCal

Reaction score
Regarding Rear suspension on the 2012 D22
We have been doing quite a bit of travelling in the last year. Ute has Canopy and steel roof racks loaded with camping gear.
Something that I have noticed is that when we have the back of the car fully loaded (Guessing 500 - 750KG's) the rear of the car bounces around hitting the bump stops all the time.
This is obviously to be expected.

It just gets a little frustrating when every bump on the black top you hit it feels like your arse is going to go up through your spine, Not good for someone that already has a bad back. It is bearable when we are off road though as we are going much slower.

Im looking for a little advice on how to minimise this the best i can. At a reasonable cost.
From reading and talking to people I have managed to come to the conclusion that maybe an extra leaf is needed in the spring pack. Doing this also creates about a 1' lift??. Looking at about $350ish plus repacking from memory.
This car still has the standard nissan Shocks on, that seem to be coping surprisingly well considering that they have been all through Cape York this year! I would prefer to leave them on at this stage until they become useless. Which going off what i hear won't be long.

As we are expecting to only be travelling for another year or so, by adding the leaf i can simply remove it when i no longer need to carry such heavy loads each day.
Im not looking at going all out on upgraded springs, torsion bars and shocks. Just keeping it simple.

Is anyone here running extra Leaf?
Or know of any reasons this isn't a good idea?

Cheers,

Old man emu do a 200kg leaf pack and all u need to do is add the extra leaf and they become 400kg leafs. i run this set up and a full OME set up and it a very comfy ride when empty and handles our heavy load great, i just removed a tough dog set up with 300kg leafs as it was a bit stiff for me

i had same problem when i fitted a lift with constant load springs (efs)
i have canopy,drawers ect and heaps of bar work and bashplates
the fix was adding an extra leaf (another 4th leaf) greasable shackles will also help
the rear now sits a bit higher than front when unloaded but sits level when loaded
i cant believe you did the cape with std shocks without shock failure
i am currently replacing my efs with bilstein b4 i tackle cape in august
my std shocks were stuffed after 20 k
cheers

I was quoted $290 for a 1 to 1.5" lift which entailed an extra leaf.

62 Heathcote Road
Moorebank
(02) 9601 6155

i cant believe you did the cape with std shocks without shock failure
i am currently replacing my efs with bilstein b4 i tackle cape in august
my std shocks were stuffed after 20 k

Yeah had not a single problem with them. Just take it easy and don't over do it.
Over time they are going to need to be replaced as i really don't expect them to last too long.
Was looking at Toughdog setup, interesting that you have had issues with them....

The cape is as easy or as hard as you make it, The only part of the OTL that we couldn't do was Palm Creek. Was horrific when we got there.

I can give you some coords for a bypass track that people with Caravans / Campers and such can bypass it.
You DO NOT need to go all the way to the Gunshot Bypass!!

Did little gunshot and Nolan's with little difficulty.

Will have to nip out to a local suspension place around here on Monday and see what they have got.
Cheers

$290 for a single leaf WTF?!?!?! thats WAY over priced, your better off buying a second hand set of standard springs and adding one of those springs to the pack, i have a 2 inch ironman lift and just put a steel tray on and it sagged a bit from the extra weight so i took one of the leaf from my standard set and added it in and it raised it about 2 inchs or more, heaps more than i expected, 2nd hand d22 springs are everywhere and will only cost $50 at most

yeah i spoze some people can be lucky
but i personally wouldnt risk ruining a trip like the cape with std shocks
after seeing the cond of my std shocks after 20k i have absolutly no faith in nissans std suspension
i will be taking my full set of efs shocks as spares
may also come in handy for one of the 6 or so other d 22's doing the trip with us (see cape york 2013 trip thread here ;http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=15734&highlight=cape+york+2013 )
i am also carrying full set of belts and hoses and filters

as for your xtra leaf see zordo on this site
he will look after you
cheers

Cheers for your help sparra04,
I'll have a chat with Zordo after i go and see what pedders can do for me tomorrow.

In the long run, maybe in 6mths to a year i might through a set of shocks on.
Just to expensive at this point in time.

$290 for a single leaf WTF?!?!?! thats WAY over priced, your better off buying a second hand set of standard springs and adding one of those springs to the pack, i have a 2 inch ironman lift and just put a steel tray on and it sagged a bit from the extra weight so i took one of the leaf from my standard set and added it in and it raised it about 2 inchs or more, heaps more than i expected, 2nd hand d22 springs are everywhere and will only cost $50 at most

I just got quoted $375 from another Spring manufacturer / to add another spring and reset 1 1/2" higher.

Makes you wonder why you would go down this route when AM springs are $300 to $400 a pair already raised and additional stiffness.

I just got quoted $375 from another Spring manufacturer / to add another spring and reset 1 1/2" higher.

Makes you wonder why you would go down this route when AM springs are $300 to $400 a pair already raised and additional stiffness.

because in some cases the upgraded springs still arent good enough when you are carrying big loads
i would suggest $250 of your quoted price would be labour

I've got an extra leaf in mine. I bought my ute off my brother. He had them put in, and the existing leafs re-rolled, when he bought it new. The rear is probably a good 3 inches higher than standard. I've had 8 x 8 foot redgum sleepers in the back with the tailgate down - only time it's sat level since I've had it! It's as stiff as a board, which I can generally put up with, but sometimes is a pain.

I've got the rancho add a leaf from 4wd1.com and I think it was 170 with free shipping. Got around a 2" lift unloaded with it and the rides good, easy to fit and well worth it

Latest posts

Back