Fault code 0403

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickstar

Reaction score
Need help in determining what fault code 0403 is.Went to take of the other morning and car was very reluctant to get moving like engine wasn,t burning the fuel.(Similar to a petrol engine with no choke) Pressing the accelerator pedal past about 20% it cleared and was ok.Each time I took off from a standing start I faced the same problem.Almost like the pedal is not receiving correct signal for the first 20% of travel.Problem is engine check light comes on.Have done the fuel reset a couple of time now and fault returns but not as bad taking off if car is warmed up a bit.
Now I have a puff of black smoke around take off.Will add steinbauer is turned off.

Last edited:
the above might be the petrol codes.

i had a look in the manual i have buts it for the early D40 models. it dosn't have a 0403 code. check you read the code right. otherwise need the later manual to find the code.

My manual's obviously the same as Tweak'e's and doesn't list any codes for 04xx but the site referred to by Longy may have the answer.

It could be a faulty EGR valve. Have you blocked the EGR? Did you disconnect the EGR plug on the side of the EGR valve?

Thanks guys.
Flashing lights are 10 fast 4 slow 10 slow and 3 slow.
My manual doesn,t have this code either.
Egr is blocked and I haven,t disconnected the Egr plug.
I will have a look at the plug in the morning.
Funny enough the zd 30 fault code 0403 is the Accelerator Position Sensor

New update.I had the engine running around 3000rpm and noticed the boost actuator hunting.At idle it is in the retracted position.
Can someone tell me if this is normal behavior.
Really feels like more fuel than air.
It has thrown code 0403 again.When I get a chance I will have an ob11 scan done to verify.

What are you using to read the error codes?

There are two possible 0403 errors depending on the letter the code starts with P=Powertrain U=Network.

Krafty just counting the flashes 10 fast 4 slow 10 slow and 3 slow.
Trying to get to my local mechanic to use his reader.

I would suggest the EGR error is more likely, because I'm not sure a network issue would cause the issues you are seeing.

It does pay to remember though that some of the codes we may see can be repeated and it comes down to what letter is in front. The default system might not show letters and the default system might not show all codes which makes things harder for the concerned owner to diagnose but if it was a network issue and people sent you on a wild goose chase to the EGR who knows what shit you could create.

Thanks Guys
I will get the scan done then see what that brings up.

I have cleaned MAF ,boost solenoid and boost pressure sensors.
For now no black smoke above idle.I would like to know if the boost actuator opening and closing very quickly is normal.At idle it,s steadybut around 3000rpm it,s all over the place.
Next is to remove blanking on EGR.

The actuator should move. The ECU adjusts the vanes to vary the charge air pressure in response to throttle position, engine load, engine RPM, probably temperatures in coolant and MAFS as well - and may even do it in response to the HO2S in the exhaust.

If I remember to do it, I'll take a look at mine tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks Tony.I placed a brick on the pedal and held it at 3000rpm.That had the actuator lever jumping all over the place.Be interested to see if this is normal.

Has anyone checked the actuator lever at a few thousand revs.
Car is going in Thursday to local mech. for a scan.

I just checked mine. Goes like a sewing machine (in movement) at about 2 cycles per second at 2,000rpm - very regular movement, but not long strokes. Occasionally see a small amount of variation. I suspect part of the variation is due to the D40's monitoring of the heated oxygen sensors in the exhaust.

Thanks Tony that at least eliminates one problem
Before I drop it off to the workshop Thursday I might check the exhaust sensors.Still feels like its lacking air hence the small puff of black smoke.
Drives normal when pedal is depressed about 1 inch just getting off idle is the problem.Liken it to more lag than normal.

Well went to local mechanic today and his OBD11 reader came up blank.Yet I can still get it to flash 0403.Seems the the reader needs an engine check light on to read a code.Saturday I will check wiring around the heated O2 and temp sensors.

It will depend on the reader. Some of the more advanced programs can actually read ECU errors but very few of the ECU scanners that people here are buying will read any more than the errors that occur whilst the readers are plugged in.

However unless you were using something like the Nissan system I wouldn't expect even programs like ProScan to give you anything more then an error code, especially given that many error codes can be maker specific. I've never had an error on my Nav so Scanguage has never needed to report anything and my copy of ProScan is too old to bother trying to run these days to see if I could create a more detailed error.

Update

Ok Update. Pulled the plugs off the 2x temp and o2 sensors and gave them a spray with electrical cleaner.
Did the reset on fuel pump and all back to normal.

I am 99.9% convinced this has fixed it.

Keep us informed on it. I've bought some electrical contact cleaner and at some point I'll be removing my MAFS and giving it a good clean. My fuel economy isn't the greatest and it might be the O2 sensor but more likely it'll be the MAFS because the MAFS is definitely used for fuel metering and the O2 sensor isn't.

Latest posts

Back