Filled up with petrol

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple answer on the ULP in diesel: more power.

Mixing a small amount of ULP into diesel chemically changes the nature of the fuel so that it burns at a different rate with a different (higher) rate of expansion. This means the downwards force on the piston is greater - and it's still a "ignite on compression" fuel.

You can't use too much. ULP is more of a solvent and will attack fuel lines and seals. It will also cause issues with the combustion, may cause additional emissions - it's not something I'd do. One bowser per car, I reckon!

you probably have already, but be sure to prime the fuel really well, maybe a couple of times. Located just under the filter.

It could be a MAF sensor or the fuel filter/pump. It might have detected water in the fuel.

Because it's recently had a flush after being filled with petrol, that's where I'd look first, but it might be well worth the effort in cleaning the MAFS too.

Seriously if the mechanic is using a scangauge to get error codes you should get a new mechanic. Scangauge while a good tool is not always entirely accurate with it's error code reporting and the "generic" error codes list they publish on the net is not always accurate either. Actually accurate may not be the right description, ambiguous might be better, what SG sees as the error may not actually be the root cause so concentrating on the error may not always be where the fault is. Although I'd suspect a decent mechanic doesn't use an SG for error code reporting anyway.

I didn't look too hard but my lists of error codes doesn't have 9089 in either the generic or Nissan code lists. 0089 is a generic Fuel Pressure Reg code but 9089 doesn't get a listing in what I have,

Have heard others ended up being very simple, like a fuel hose clamp. If you prime it n run it does it go ok for a while? If you then try to prime again n it takes a few squeezes to get the line firm again it's leaking. If you look at other threads on this "petrol in the diesel" issue they mostly have no serious lasting issues. Just check if you missed something before you spend. That might only be me that does that forget somethin thingy LOL.

As stated above 0089 (sometimes prefixed with a "P") is a fuel pressure reg code according to the likes of scanguage etc, but the regulator may not be the root cause, just what the ECU is reporting as a problem. This is the unfortunate area that many of us who don't use Nissan mechanics could find ourselves in where Nissan should be better qualified to find the problems than an independent mechanic.

jjohn has possibly hit the nail on the head.

P0089 means "Fuel rail pressure too high" (p1074 of EC.PDF in the manual).

It lists possible causes as:

* fuel pump
* air in fuel
* lack of fuel
* fuel rail pressure sensor

The first step listed in the manual is to reset the fuel pump's learning (using the Consult device) which is the same as if you disconnect the battery and step on the brake pedal, but without the radio losing its pin and the loss of trip meter data.

I can't say I disagree with that as a first possible step, but they jump to step 2: test the fuel rail pressure sensor and if fault still exists, replace the fuel rail. This is BEFORE they checked the fuel line for leaks on the suction side, the seal in the fuel filter etc.

I'd do it in this order:

1) Inspect the fuel pump and filter, look for leaks, cracking in the hose, bunching of the hose.
2) Squeeze the primer bulb, if you can squeeze it 5-6 times and it's still not getting hard to do, there's air in the line, investigate this
3) Remove the fuel filter and examine the hoses and seals. Make sure they are seated correctly and reassemble.

See how that goes? If you don't get any joy, it could be the pressure sensor, it could be an over-exuberant pump - but these are things better handled by a workshop, and better still by Nissan because they can replace the bits under warranty.

Latest posts

Back