Filling Nissan Navara D40 fuel tank at petrol station

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starbuck234

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Have just purchased a 2009 Nissan Navara D40 King Cab with steel tray and am have awful trouble at the petrol station filling it with diesel. It took some 20 minutes today to put in $50 worth of diesel. Even the Garage owner said that it was common for all Nissan Navara owners that fill up with diesel to have problems because of the angle or design of the filler neck. The Garage owner said that numerous Nissan Navara's have trouble filling their vehicles and they complain to him that his pumps are faulty and he has assured me that it is the fault of the Nissan and not his pumps. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a modification that can be carried out to solve this problem. I have never had a problem filling any other vehicle other than this Nissan Navara.
Many thanks.

No problem ether, but I see you have a steel tray and not a tub. Has the filler or breather been changed or was the original retained? I have never seen anyone having trouble at the pump in a Navara before. Maybe try a different servo to compare.

i know i have a D22 but i have issue`s from time to time with the high flow pumps, i just make sure to use the normal nozzle instaed of the high flow.

Don't know if this might help but a bloke i know bought a brand new ranger a couple of months ago and he took the tray off and put a canopy on and he used to have the very same problem as you are describing at the pump until he bought some underbody boxes and had a stainless water tank fabricated and because of them he had to slightly adjust the angle and position of the filler neck and this solved the problem for him without him even trying, it must of just been something to do with air getting out as the fuel was going in and with yours having a tray on it might just be as simple as messing around with it whilst filling up.

No probs with mine takes hi-flow no worries

I remember someone posting ages ago about swapping from a tub to a tray and having that problem. The angle of the nozzle in the filler causes back pressure making the pump cut out.

Have heard of this with tray backs. Not just Navaras I had an Isuzu that had the same probs. I Use to hold the handle of the gun at about 1 or 2 o'clock postion start slow and then went in ok.

Some pumps back pressure settings are more sensitive than others.

Always use the slow flow pump if you can. Less bloody messy and oily anyway.

Your Aussie Navara D40's must have a different filling system to the Spanish built ones here in South Africa, we can just pour the fuel in flat out without problems and spilling of any kind.

Most here are Spanish built. It's real only some traybacks that seem to have the problems. Never heard of filling issues with the well body tubs both, the Spanish and Thai built.

Filling Nissan Navara D40 fuel tank at petrol stations

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your input into our fuel filling problem. I have investigated and I have found that when the steel tray was fitted to the chassis that the angle of the filler line was incorrectly fitted underneath the tray. The bends in the filler tubes half way down where pointing almost at the height of the filler neck where you put the pump nozzle in. Today I have reworked the total filler line that the filler neck is now miles higher than the bends that is in the pipe, which should now alleviate my problem of the pump constantly cutting out. I feel now that the fuel should flow straight down into the tank with no more blow back.

Many thanks everyone - will keep you posted on the next refill to see how it went.

I only have that sort of filling problem with my boat.
Honestly though, hi flow ( not recommended for 4wds as the sign says) or premium?
This is a serious question fellas.
Will this affect the engine?

Sweet. I was worried for a minute.
Is there a difference in the fuel grade or is that just a deterrent to make 4x4 owners pay extra?

Back