First timer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty_74

Reaction score
Hello to all, this is my first post on here. I have an '08 D40 Met. Black dual cab turbo diesel auto Nav which I've only had for a month now, pretty standard at the moment apart from a nissan canopy, nudge bar and spots, but a 2" lift on its way this week and hopefully more mods to come in the near future.

Can any other diesel auto owners let me know their fuel consumption, mine seems to be a little higher than the 9 l/100 stated on the specs, on the last tank it worked out to about 16 l/100 that's mostly city driving (wife driving as well). The current tank is a little better with a bit more highway driving, done 300km and the needle is still sitting just above half.

What are your thoughts?

Arty

Welcome Arty.

There is a thread on this forum about fuel economy for D40's there is many and varied figures, some good and some bad, but yours doesn't sound that bad.

As far as getting 300ks with the needle above half I wouldn't take a great deal of notice of that if it's anything like mine. The break up of mine is about 300 from the first quarter, 200 from the 3/4 line to the 1/4 line then about 300 for the last quarter. The fuel gauge, while not exactly wrong does have a problem somewhere in the middle. With the help of a scangauge I've learned to live with it has although it has confirmed to me that trying to work out economy on anything less than full tanks is pointless.

hi Arty and welcome.
Ive had my D40 for 14 months and the best I ever got out of my tank is 520k's for about the first month. Since then I get 420km every time (out of 70 litres), so hopefully yours is one of the good ones. Mine is a d40 KingCab Auto DIESEL.

auto's have DPF which apparently chews more fuel somehow than manual d40's without DPF...so iv heard. i get around 750km to tank city driving..

Thanks for the replies, after I posted that I found that thread on "D40 fuel economy" makes for very interesting reading, will keep an eye on my economy as it's only the 2nd tank since I've had it but like you said Krafty mine looks like it sits somewhere in the middle of all the good and bad reports.

I just put 60 litres in my tank which should relate to the gauge reading around the 1/4 mark yet when I pulled up the gauge was reading about 2 needle widths off empty. Without Scangauge telling me there was 20 litres left in the tank I'd have been rushing around looking for a servo thinking there was less than 1/8 of a tank left.

Welcome aboard!

My dealer ran through some math with me relating to my consumption, telling me that the claimed figures were obtained by a bare-bones vehicle with minimal fuel and a tiny guy behind the wheel who was an expert in fossil fuel frugality.

I'd added about 340Kg to mine - about 17% - so I should expect to get about 12.2L/100km (based on 10.5 claimed for highway performance). I'm doing pretty much that, sometimes better if I spend more time on the highway.

Are you seeing any smoke? Get your wife to take it for a drive while you follow, make sure there's a hill or two to give her a reason to plant her foot a bit.

My dealer ran through some math with me relating to my consumption, telling me that the claimed figures were obtained by a bare-bones vehicle with minimal fuel and a tiny guy behind the wheel who was an expert in fossil fuel frugality.

While that's not entirely the truth because test of all vehicles are regulated to some degree all vehicles are tested under ideal conditions which 95% of us will never see. It's just like Holden's claim that they can travel Melb to Syd on one tank, sure they can do it but it's under ideal conditions and something most drivers wont achieve, but it's still not false.

If anyone buying a vehicle thinks that the figures stuck on the window (or in the book) are going to be exactly right then they will be sadly mistaken, some cars get better some get worse it's just the way cars are.

Like Tony says with his Nav adding weight is always going to change economy and many people forget this as well as the many other factors that come into it. But when you consider bars, canopies, bigger wheels and just general crap stored in the back of utes these days it's not hard too see just why there is such huge differences in the same vehicles.

Even after 10K in my Nav I haven't noticed any "loosening" up or improvements in economy that many drivers report. In previous Pathy's I noticed a loosening somewhere between 10 and 15K and over night economy on average dropped between 1 and 2 lph. I'm happy with the economy of my Nav right now and will be even happier if some sort of loosening happens but I'm still not waiting with baited breath for it to happen.

Latest posts

Back