fitting bonnet scoop

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben85

Reaction score
ive got a bonnet scoop to fit up to my d22 to help out the top mount intercooler i fitted up recently.

its a hilux scoop, looks identical to the gu patrol ones.

has anyone fitted their own scoop, got any tips?

Be careful. Measure twice, cut once. Get someone else to do it.

Get some double sided tape. Stick a piece on each corner of the cooler (don't stick it down too hard) & gently close bonnet. If you stuck the tape with its outer edge flush with the outer edge of the cooler you will likely now have tape stuck to the underside of the bonnet giving you the position of the cooler in relation to the bonnet.

Given that I don't know the size of the scoop relative to the size of the cooler, I'd suggest finding the centre of the cooler and transferring that to the bonnet too.

When you're all marked up & ready to cut, STOP. Get someone to check your logic, calculations and measurements. If that person agrees with you (and they haven't had their head in your beer fridge all day) then whack in some pilot holes (well inside your cut line). Then with a fine-tooth blade in a jigsaw (& a steady hand) begin your cut. I took the bonnet off to do the cutting. You should also extensively tape the cut area - you don't want to drag swarf across the duco.

Clean up the edges, mount the scoop (what mounting hardware do you have?) & re-install the bonnet. You will want some self adhesive foam rubber to sit between the bonnet and the cooler to form a seal. You may also need to fab up a frame or bracket to strengthen the bonnet as you will cut through ribs.

There you go - clear as mud!

Half a dozen beers, 9inch grinder and off you go.

Take the bonnet off when you cut it out, those little filings stick to everything and rust instantly

Scotty's onto something there - just check that the scoop sits over the cooler (here I'm assuming that your cooler is a different shape/size to that of the 2.5l).

An IC bonnet won't do unfortunately, the IC is in a different spot to the 2.5ltr.

The scoop came with some bolts that slot into the scoop, so will bolt it down with them.

Thanks guys.

well i got the bonnet scoop on a couple of weeks ago so here's some pics.

Attachments

• P1000010.JPG
    P1000010.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 323
  • P1000032.JPG
    P1000032.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 330
  • P1000033.JPG
    P1000033.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 301
  • P1000034.JPG
    P1000034.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 320
nice job! How is the cooler now that you have scoopage? better power? More turbo noise?

turbo's a bit louder.
power may be slightly better, but might just be imagining it. egt's seem slightly lower.
ive got a 3inch exhaust ready to go on so that might make some more difference.

Oh ok cool. I was going to do the xr6t front mount however after seein this setup it cout work out possibly cheaper and alot easier (apart from the bonnet cutting for the scoop) to do then the setup i had inmind for the xr6t intercooler i bought. Also how did you go about the fitting for the boost controller??

Bart

Also whats the dimensions of the hole you cut for the scoop. And how do you find it goes with the intercooler on any better??

yea its not too hard, took me a bit of time so i got it all spot on but it wasnt too hard.
i had the car off the road for a few days while i got a bit done each night. lucky i had a work car at the time.

i can get some pics of the core, the bracket i made, the barb but you'll haveta wait a few days til i get time to take pics.

the scoop was about 30cm x 35cm or there abouts. its a hilux scoop. took a bit of mucking around to get right but its not a complicated job.

the hardest bit was probably getting the bracket made up to fit exactly in the right spot as
there is very little clearance above the turbo area for the 2 x 135 degree silicon bends.

if you have a welder and can weld that will come in handy for the bracket otherwise you'll need someone to help you there.
the other thing thing is getting the bonnet scoop painted, i had a mate do it for nothin which was handy.

for the boost sensor i had another mate (works for pirtek) drill and tap the end tank of the core and fit a small barb (3/16 i think, not 100% sure of the thread but i think its 1/8, might be 1/8npt)

Yeah if you could get some pics that would be great. The bracket wont be a problem im a boily so i can get some offcuts from work and weld it upmyself. Did you use a reducer hose from intercooler to intake manifold? Or just a straight 2.5" hose? Because the pics of the original thread starter seems to have used just a straight hose from intercooler to intake manifold but in the pic you uploaded with the fan mounted its a bit hard to tell.

Ah ok cheers was just after rough scoop size to work out how much bigg then the cool core the scoop is. I will more then likely go with either the hilux or gu scoop (very much the same arent they).

What i will do for the bracket is attach the intercooler to the intake manifold, then make sur eits level, then make the bracket to suit that, so the cooler sits as level as it can and then play aroun with the turbo to intercooler hoses to make them fit best.

Really the most daunting part will be cutting the bonnet, the scoop i will possibly take to a local panel beaters to get sprayed. After cutting the hole in the bonnet did you get the bonnet fully resprayed or just use like a cold gal paint on the exposed bare metal or what?

Bart

the bonnet was pretty easy really. just removed from car, measured it out where i wanted it all nice n square. drilled a couple of holes, heavily masked all around it to protect from abrasion/scratching and cut out with a jigsaw.

just painted the edges with rustguard primer then let dry.
used some sika flex to make sure the ribs were well and truly bonded to the rest of the bonnet.
and sprayed some lanotec around all the cut n primed areas.

should be pretty easy if your a boily.

gu scoop i think is slightly bigger but not too much.

the hilux one was a bit of a bastard as all the mounting points on the scoop are actually lower then the edges of the scoop. so to make the scoop sit flush on the bonnet i had to cut out little squares so they sit into the bonnet. then when you tighten them up it pulls tight onto the bonnet. gu scoop may be the same, not sure.

just used a 2.5" straight hose. used the same hoses as in the other thread.
the 1.75" silicon joiner onto the 2" alloy joiner was a bit of work, but after heating and some effort i managed to force it on. theres no way of getting it off again haha.

it might not work out if you do the bracket first.
the way mine is there;'s no easy way to make the core sit level, possible maybe, but im not sure. would have to play around with the 135degree joiners, mine only has about 5mm clearance in 2 spots. and the core only clears another spot by about the same.
level may look neater but i found it more practical the way i did it.

i got the IC in then made the bracket to hold it in the exact position.
once finished, bolted it in then tightened the clamps on the intake and both sides of the ic so it fits nicely.

will be interesting to see how you go, and if you do anything differently.

hey ben
got my intercooler today, so now just gotta order the silicone hoses, the hose clamps and the piece of ally pipe. so just so i order the right stuff i need:
-a 2.5-2.5inch straight hose,
-a 2.5-2inch 90degree bend,
-a 2-2inch 135degree bend,
-a 1.75inch 135degree bend,
-a 2inch ally straight pipe,
and then
3@ 2.5inch hose clamps
3@ 2inch hose clamps and
2@ 1.75inch hose clamps.

Bart

you'll need 2x 2" alloy joiners. and 4x 2" clamps, I just reused the original 1.75"clamp on the turbo outlet.

the rest of your list looks right!

Last edited:
Back