Ford’s Thai-bound Territorys.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Blue Oval sends small but significant export shipment to Thailand, its first such initiative since 2005.

Ford has rolled 100 Territorys on to a car transporter this week bound for Thailand, in the company’s first export program – excepting New Zealand - since similar initiatives to Thailand and South Africa in 2005.

The top-of-the-range seven-seater Territory Titanium models will be fitted with the 2.7-litre turbo diesel engine that has been a sales hit in Australia since it was added to the range last year, mainly because it attracts less excise than the 4.0-litre petrol-powered six that has been the model’s mainstay.

Ford displayed the Territory at the Bangkok motor show in March and Ford Australia president Bob Graziano says the company received a strong response.

“It’s clear Thai customers want the roominess of a seven-seater and the features available in the Territory Titanium,” he says.

Advertisement Ford Australia made some minor tweaks to suit the Thai market – the radio has been modified to tune in 50kHz increments instead of the 100 kHz increments used in Australia, and the rear-passenger DVD player has been updated to play Thailand region DVDs.

The high-spec Territory will be pitched at “the premium end of the market”, according to Ford spokesman Neil McDonald, sitting above the compact Ford Everest and Ford Escape SUVs.

It’s also the first time Australian cars have been sent to Thailand since the 2005 free trade agreement between the two countries, which was intended to lay the basis for regular two-way export programs.

But it’s turned out to be anything but a free-trade agreement. Thailand levies a 50 per cent excise on cars with an engine capacity less than 3.0 litres and 60 per cent for those with a larger engine capacity, so Thai-bound exports have stalled while tens of thousands of Thai-built cars and utes have flowed into Australia.

Free trade agreements working so so well.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/fords-thaibound-territorys-20120817-24cxc.html

http://www.thaifta.com/english/eng_au.html

^ Hence why we are getting screwed. !@#$ing lunacy.

On a completely different but slightly related note about Terrorstorys.

If anyone remembers seeing the Ford ad where the annoying girlie wants to visit all her friends on Facebook there is a scene part way through that ad where they mention "economy" and show the Terrorstory sitting on what might be a dyno or similar. For anyone wondering how those wonderful economy figures stuck on the windows of new cars are calculated that is one part of the test, the rest of it happens on a computer screen.

So next time your car isn't running to the same economy of the magic sticker consider their testing compared to the real world testing you do on the roads.

Actually test drove a terry oiler recently, deciding between a Nav 550 and a titanium as they are not too far apart in price. I found the V6 in the Ford to be flat compared to the V6 in the 550 which really has some lift and more importantly, mid range push given the primary job will be towing a horsefloat and my racecar.

Spending more dollars to get the Navara it seems, hopefully ordering it in a couple of days and we will be back in one again (I sold my D22 about 18 months ago)

Does not surprise me about the free trade agreements being anything but, been that way for ever.

Its quiet pathetic though isn't it. Its not a free market at all, since we are competing with countries who pay $2 a hour compared to our wages.

Krafty, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Back