Fraser Island Christmas trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor1985

Reaction score
Hi everyone me and the misses heading to Fraser Island on Thursday for a week over Christmas. First timers there. Just wondering good places to go for camping and fishing and of course a little bit of 4x4 also just wondering is it true that you can't have fires anymore?

Im in the same boat, heading up there for the first time from new years till the 8th.
Will be keen to hear what tips people have.

Have you booked a campsite yet? if you haven't i'd be worried you might not get a spot, probably the busiest time of year with alot of idiots driving around so be careful, hit up lake Birrabeen if McKenzie is packed, be careful of the hundred million washouts along the beach and don't feed the dingoes, one tree rocks is a good place to camp on the beach.

pretty sure there is a fire ban on to and for good reason, just look at what happened to moreton island the same time last year.

Last edited:
I'm heading up there on the 26th through to the 31st dec with a group of about 10 or so, apparenty there is a total fire ban and there is pretty hefty fines if your caught with 1 as well..... Havent been there since I was a kid so looking forward to it and just going to beach camp near the maheno

Pretty sure fires are banned all the time, gotta cook on gas or what not.
I went a few years ago, did the usual tourist stuff, loved every minuite of it.
Next time I'll be doing the west side of island to Wathumba creek area and northern point, looks beautiful and from what I'm told less people

Sand is really boggy that side of the island, very tough going and some creeks get a bit deep, not to mention the sand flies...

Im in the same boat, heading up there for the first time from new years till the 8th.
Will be keen to hear what tips people have.

Would have been good to see you up there. ****en woman. Ruin everything

Hey lads, ill be there from the 1st to the 7th. Keep an eye out for my nav, white with offroad cartel sticker on the windscreen. We have a crew of about 16. Boys trip this year, leave all the misses at home. First night at kingfisher then beach camp the rest.

Attachments

• 131898_10151135367056724_1484720727_o.jpg
    131898_10151135367056724_1484720727_o.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 123
I did it in a 97 pathfinder with stock suspension and yumcha tyres, any 4x4 can do it just not anyone...

Really appreciate everything lads. Do you have to book camp sites everywhere or can you just pull up on the beach where is good spots to just pull up camp for a few days do some fishing and move on where you don't have to book that is. Oh yeah I bought some of those TRED recovery ramps today they look the business no they are not Maxxtrax but I'm willing to give it a go and get them out there not that I'm planning on getting bogged while I'm there but. Better safe than sorry.

Pretty sure fires are banned all the time, gotta cook on gas or what not.
I went a few years ago, did the usual tourist stuff, loved every minuite of it.
Next time I'll be doing the west side of island to Wathumba creek area and northern point, looks beautiful and from what I'm told less people

Going up with my inlaws who have been there a fair bit, (they live at Redland bay opposite Strady) and they want to stay right up the top on the northern end, like you say apparently not as many people its meant to be a little harder to get to especially with the camp trailers??

Cant wait..... Are we there yet??

Going up with my inlaws who have been there a fair bit, (they live at Redland bay opposite Strady) and they want to stay right up the top on the northern end, like you say apparently not as many people its meant to be a little harder to get to especially with the camp trailers??

Cant wait..... Are we there yet??

Be careful around Ngkala rocks, many a car has been written off there, just timing the tides right will be the biggest problem, maybe go up about 2 hours after the lower high tide which leaves you like 4-5 hours to get up the end.

Last edited:
Really appreciate everything lads. Do you have to book camp sites everywhere or can you just pull up on the beach where is good spots to just pull up camp for a few days do some fishing and move on where you don't have to book that is. Oh yeah I bought some of those TRED recovery ramps today they look the business no they are not Maxxtrax but I'm willing to give it a go and get them out there not that I'm planning on getting bogged while I'm there but. Better safe than sorry.

Planning on doing Fraser in March, how did the trip go and did you have to use the TRED Recovery ramps?

None of the rocks are a problem at the moment, The bypass track at Ngkala rocks is pretty fun with a little rock section at the start then super soft sand through to the other side, few cars were getting stuck but none of them were Navs and you shouldnt have to use the treds if your in the right gear, My mate was in a stock Nav and made it to the Cape and to all of the other spots without getting stuck

Thanks for the info guys.

nathand22 I see your from Southern NSW, did you make many stops on your way up and back?

Hi Axel, i stopped at Redland Bay at my outlaws place for two days, then we all travelled the rest of the trip together. Other than that i only stopped twice on the way up for food and fuel.
We then stopped back at Redland for another 2 days due that heat wave hit sydney and i received Text messages saying keep out of my local area due to the extreme fire hazard.

Latest posts

Back