Fraser Island Trip.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atcmatt

Reaction score
G'day, just starting to get all my stuff in order for my trip to Fraser Island after Christmas and over New Years. I have never been there before and still after much research cannot decide on where to book a site. I'll be in my d22 with roof top tent and my mate will be in his d22 with camper trailer. Can anyone shed a bit of light on where the best place to camp is? I'm leaning towards one tree rocks so we can camp on the beach. My missus is absolutely terrified of dingoes (she has been before) would this be an unsuitable choice in the way of dingoes on the beach?

What's the best ferry to take? Inskip or Hervey?
Can you swim in the ocean?

Any help or other tips would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Matt

Oh also wanted to add that we are driving up from sydney, where would be an ideal halfway stop to camp the night? Got the boiling billy book on camping in Australia but most of the halfway spots are a bit off the direct route up the east coast. Cheers.

If coming from sydney go from inskip, its s shorter barge trip and its cheaper, plus you dont have to drive through the middle of the island where all the tourists get bogged, however the middle of island is one of the nicest places to drive through.

As for camp sites I like wathumba creek, it is isolated but has toilets, great fishing too. Also a lot of people stay at waddy point

Cheers for the reply. Will have to do a bit more research and get a few more opinions, always helps when people have been there done that.

Matt

Hi there Matt, Fraser Island great spot, around the middle of the east coast on Fraser is a couple of camp areas that are protected from dingoes - dundaburra and cathedral beach. They both have showers, toilets, cathedral has a shop and fuel station. Setting camp here allows easy day trips to all of the island, you will be dictated by tides unless you want to burn your $2.20 P/L fuel in the soft stuff all day so plan ahead. Some great 4wd tracks to lake Mckenzie and the sandy cape light house. I was there in October and tried to get to the sandy cape but was blocked at Nkgala? rock bypass. You can only go around the rocks at dead low. The bypass is one vehicle at a time and there was 8 vehicles bogged to their axles in both directions. Hence I turned around. Barge from Inskip is around $100 return. Enjoy your trip it'll be a ripper I bet. Cheers Doug.

Thanks for the information Doug. That helps a lot. I've seen most of the fenced areas are all booked out probably for obvious reasons, people with kids etc. I guess staying somewhere around the middle of the island is best to be central for day trips. Thanks. Matt.

If you've never been before try to camp somewhere central so u can then explore from there. Wathumba is beautiful on the west coast but mozzie heaven in my opinion. Don't swim in the surf unless you like sharks! Lakes and Eli creek are great for swimming (& fresh water too).

Hey Matt,

I recently camped at Dundubara in November and Cathedrals in October mainly because they are dingo fenced and we have a 6 yr old. They both have showers, toilets and water. Dundubara is bookable on the parks website and Cathedrals is private and can be booked via their website. If you're going at Christmas you'll need to get in early for these 2. The inland tracks are very soft and I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer through them on the first trip. The Manta Ray barge from Inskip Point is definitely the go as you don't have to book, it runs all day and it's a straight run up the beach to the above camsites but plan your trip 3 hours after the high tide to get around Hook Point. There is an inland road around this section but I haven't used it so can't tell you what it's like. If you're towing a trailer you need to plan your trip around the tides. I went to Sandy Cape on the last trip. Indian Head was reasonably firm. South Ngkala bypass was very soft but passable. We had to wait for about an hour while someone dug themselves out. 18psi and 2nd low got me through on about 4000rpms. Then it's a straight run to the Cape.

Hope this helps you out.

Steve

Cheers guys. All useful information. Will definately plan with all your information. Looks like I will be booking something tonight. I'm not towing a trailer but a mate is, should be ok for him on his qd32 with turbo, thing pulls like a truck. Will keep everything in mind. Thanks again.

Matt

I wouldn't be too worried about dingoes, especially as you don't have kids with you? There are bugger all left of them as they were heavily culled after the first attacks. They are pretty easy to scare off, just yell and charge at them and they will cower away.

Nah my boy won't be with us. It's my mrs that is scared, bloody poms haha. Yeah we will be right. Cheers again.

So couldn't get a spot with facilities. So we just booked a beach camping permit which allows us to camp on any of the beaches apart from a few. Should suit us fine as wouldn't mind trying a different spot each night (rooftop tent so will be packing up everyday for day trips). $91.20 for 4 nights and a permit for two people. Not to bad, will be a cheaper than normal New Years I hope! Now to research the Ferry from in skip point. Cheers again.

Matt

Other advice, don't buy anything on the island, that means food, fuel and grog. They all cost a fortune, but I would think you would already know that.

Yep. Got a 65 litre waeco and a 35 litre waeco for a freezer. Will also take a couple jerrycans with me.

Latest posts

Back