Free wheel hubs d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atadamcooper

Reaction score
Probally been answered before can I put freewheel hubs to d40 or disengage the front locking in with switch when in 4wd low. getting sick of the binding up feel when reversing trailers and boats up inclines since the 1st and reverse gears are to tall geared.

i have never seen or hear of anyone or anything you can buy to do it, with the existing front diff assembly any way.
Apart of the problem is the ABS tone ring location.

It's something we've discussed at length, even delved into the workings of the transfer case to see if we can engage low range without engaging the front axle (which doesn't work as it's a single mechanism that rotates through 270 degrees to achieve 4WD first (at 90 degrees) then gear reduction into 4LO at 270 degrees).

The stud pattern of the D40 (114.3x6) is not really large enough for standard locking hubs. I am fairly sure I saw one that someone had built - not sure if they're readily available.

I think strength would be the biggest issue with trying to fit any sort of manual hub...

114.3mm stud diameter doesn't give you a lot of room to have a decently sized manual hub...

The 80 series cruisers that had permanently locked hubs still had the 139mm hub diameter so you could fit them quite easily...

I do wonder though if you could build some sort of magnetically lockable hub though, as it wouldn't need as much space as a standard manual locking hub....

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something, just depends how much you really want to spend...

I meant without timing chain dramas and that actually has free wheeling hubs or just lower gears would be good enough

You could just run a drive shaft disconnect on the front shaft, there is room and not hard to make or adapt a bought one

That sounds like a perfect solution. I wonder how it would stand up to off road conditions? Not cheap either.

Manual Hubs

Probally been answered before can I put freewheel hubs to d40 or disengage the front locking in with switch when in 4wd low. getting sick of the binding up feel when reversing trailers and boats up inclines since the 1st and reverse gears are to tall geared.

Has anybody looked at the possibility of fitting D22 stubs, rotors etc to the D40 to give the locking hubs.
I am new to Navs and planned to check this out but as yet have not looked into it so I thought someone else may have.

I don't like your chances, mainly because the d22 uses a steering box and drag link setup, whereas the d40 uses a rack and pinion steering system. That's not to say it's not possible, I've actually wondered about being able to fit the d40 rack and pinion steering setup to my d22...

The abs shouldn't be a problem, the d22 has abs too so there shouldn't be an issue there.

The biggest issue will be the wheel stud pattern, d40s use a 6x114.3 pcd but the d22 uses a 6x139.7 pcd.. I don't know if you'd be able to get replacement rear alxe shafts with a pcd to match the front, although it may be possible to fit a patrol rear diff if the wheel track is the same. I think the d22 has a narrower track than the d40, otherwise you could fit the whole diff from a d22..

It would interesting to have a good look at though. ....

The A.B.S sender rings would have to be identical as any difference between front and rear would cause issues such as speed readings, non engagement of 4wd. it only takes a small difference and it will not like it....

Latest posts

Back