Freeze Ur Nuts Orf - Day Run to PolBlue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cold front coming through
fair chance of snow on saturday
might take a run up if it looks like snowing

I've just taken a look at the synoptic charts. There's a low south-west of Perth heading this way and a cold front just in front of it, which is being pushed northwards. It's doing about 35 knots - 70km/h - at that speed it'll take it two days minimum to get here. That makes it Sunday rather than Saturday. There's no indication of whether another low will form over the region yet, I'm not that good with meteorology to figure it out myself, but we need both for snow.

You'll recall the temps started to drop after the rain stopped last Saturday - that's because the low pressure cell (causing the rain) moved east and THEN the cold front moved in.

We could end up going every single weekend LOL ... now we still haven't touched our main tank, so I could easily do the trip twice without refuelling (including the 4WDing).

If we do go this weekend, we want to go via Dungog and pick up some snags at the IGA there. Friggin' yum yum yum yum yum yum yum need I go on! They open at 7am so we won't be wasting time waiting for them.

ime out on saturday
i have a 3'' turbo back to fit to the skyline and i have booked a hoist for the day
sunday hmm
if there is a good chance of snow ime in
dungog via where to get to polblue?
them snags sound nice

Trip would be Heatherbrae through the roundabout take the Richardson Rd exit, through Nelsons Plains/Seaham/Clarencetown into Dungog. Exit north towards Stroud/Gloucester - the road comes out on the Bucketts Way.

I'll have to load pics onto a USB stick and give that to you. And remember the sticker Brad wants too.

Turns out I have about 28Gb of footage off the dashboard cam which turned into around 11.7Gb of single worthwhile AVI. Bring a 16Gb+ stick with you and I'll bring my laptop, next biggest stick I have is a 32Gb stick full of my work tools. I also have the photos I took at that trail - most are good, one or two excellent ones (I love sports mode on the EOS). 29 photos, 241Mb.

Looks more promising for Monday or Tuesday up the tops for snow, but the cold front heading east has picked up pace since 10am from 25knots to 30knots and it's still heading this way.

Bonus: the high over NSW is weakening and may become a low, which will suck cold air up into the state causing not only rain but snow at altitudes. It should be 48-72 hours away from now, but if the cold front keeps accelerating we'll wear it nicely on Sunday. I'll know more after the 10pm synoptic update (we get one every 6 hours, and it's posted within 2 hours on the BOM site).

So I finally found the forecast section where the smart guys publish what the weather is going to be like, and they're saying Tuesday will bring the right conditions across much of NSW for rain + snow at higher altitudes.

It's probably best to look at this again tomorrow arvo and decide then whether to sprint up to the top again or not.

We got between 5-10cm last weekend while we were in the Abercrombie River NP camping for the weekend, didnt actually snow at the camp site as we were too low but less then 1km up the track on top of the hills it was dumping down.

So I finally found the forecast section where the smart guys publish what the weather is going to be like, and they're saying Tuesday will bring the right conditions across much of NSW for rain + snow at higher altitudes.

It's probably best to look at this again tomorrow arvo and decide then whether to sprint up to the top again or not.

bugger
ime back at work tuesday
i dont think the conditions are right for snow on sunday
but if things change for tomorrow gimme a call
theres always next weekend??
ime off now to make a skyline noisier
and faster
i love the wifes new car

Yeah Sunday looks like it's going to be clear. Late Saturday early Sunday will see some action on the Flinders Ranges, St Marys Peak (1170m) might get a dusting because there's a high over WA hauling another cold front up from the Antarctic to follow closely behind the one heading east (that should be over Adelaide at that time).

Late Sunday and all day Monday should see a fair bit of snow on the Vic/NSW alpine regions and it should rain Monday night over the northern part of central eastern NSW (which includes the Barringtons).

Tuesday morning should see more rain over this region and a cold front sweeping through, extending from the northern tablelands right down through to the south coast of NSW. This should fall as snow at higher altitudes, but I've no idea down to what level.

I'd suggest at this point that arriving at Polblue mid-morning Tuesday will see us covered in snow over soft clay created by the previous day's soaking. I don't think it's advisable to do any 4WDing - we know how soft the ground was last time, and it's only going to get worse. Add not being able to see holes and debris from being covered with snow and we'd be seriously asking for trouble.

I've found a webcam at Katoomba (elevation around 1,000m) - Polblue is another 500m higher, and with a weather system that large I'd suggest that seeing snow @ Katoomba would mean snow @ Polblue.

Latest posts

Back