Freeze Ur Nuts Orf - Day Run to PolBlue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, we're in. She's happy to stay at the pub in Moonan Flats too, if that's what you want to do, or come back and stay in Gloucester - or the round trip, doesn't matter. Whichever way we feel like it.

I just have to throw the snow chains, some clothes and some food in and we're ready already. Fridge + recovery gear is in, we went for a run through Chichester Forest yesterday for something to do and didn't know how muddy things would get. Some idiots have torn up Coachwood really badly and they've had to shut Telegherry again - probably because some dickheads have been digging up the camp areas there or in Currawong.

Anyway, I'll throw the snow chains in today. There's a low pressure trough heading this way, a LP system as well, and two cold fronts are being drawn north-east out of the Great Australian Bight. If the two combine over NSW we'll have snow.

I dunno mate, but if you need more I'm sure there are pills for that sort of thing.

Depends on a lot of things and I'm no expert, I only know a little about it. I can't find any historical records for that area since they don't keep (public) records of rainfall up there - there's no weather station, which would be bloody handy. I don't think the NPWS rangers keep those records either. We'll just have to hope for the best and hope they don't shut the road.

If they DO shut the road, we'll have to find something else to do.

Yeah we're coming now, just for the day

Was talking to tony today, meet at heatherbrae macca's at 8am

great news brad
i dont think we will stay anywhere o/nite
we could however stop at aberdeen for tea on the way home?
cook at the pub is a good friend of mine
so tony its a bbq lunch at polblue??
ile have to unpack the camper and find me stuff

Yeah that's the idea, Sparra. We're bringing a two-burner stove, kettle, water etc. We don't mind which way things go for the overnight - dinner at Aberdeen is good for us too.

We have to see what the weather does to us. There's a deepening low in the Bight with a cold front stretching just over the NT border. This should reach us by Saturday if it keeps travelling east and it should dump heavily on the snowfields, possibly Bathurst & surrounds, and Polblue might get a dusting. If Katoomba goes white, Polblue will follow so I'm going to find me a webcam up that way and keep an eye on it.

thats no good craig
hope u feel better soon

spoke to my cook mate
he will cook early for us if we turn up early
dinner at 5ish should get us home by 8
if we go that way?
lets just see how the day pans out?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Craig, we'll have to organise another one, maybe Watagans again, but this time with a side track?

Works for me Sparra. We've just finished our day, I'm wading through the forum posts ready to call it a night. See ya'll in the morning.

Anyone else want to show up - 8am at Heatherbrae McDonalds, or 10am at Gloucester Bowling Club near the road (you'll see us).

UHF 15 ought to do us too.

I'm bring recovery gear, chain saw, axes and other shit just in case we decide to make a left turn somewhere before Albuquerque.

a good day was had by all
no snow but it was bloody cold
we arrived at polblue for a bbq lunch
then we took a left turn somewhere before Albuquerque and played in some muddy forest trails winding our way down to moonan
brads 550 performed well considering he is still running road tyres and no lift
tony learnt why you shouldnt try a 3 point turn down the side of a sloppy mountain trail
the day finished at aberdeen pub where we all enjoyed a great meal,brad enjoyed his 1kg rump
all home safe by 10pm
thanks guys for a great day

Last edited:
That was an awesome run and again a great 4WD experience led by Sparra.

If anyone hasn't done 4WDing before, wants to try but feels unsure about it, you SERIOUSLY have to come along on a run that's led by Sparra. Safety is always paramount, both personal and vehicle. If you want to see what your vehicle can do, don't sit back and wonder about it. Come along on one of our next runs.

That 3-point turn was a little concerning, the ground looked quite level but the tail of the car just wanted to slide down the hill and my right rear wheel went and sat low at the same time as the front left flexed up - so it felt like the car wanted to lean over for a roll down the hill. We never lifted a wheel though - and once up on the washout it all felt better. Man, that was one slippery hill.

More pics - particularly of tony chewing out his drivers seat while doing that 3 point turn?

No pics of that turn. Sparra was down the bottom of the hill looking at a path to get Lladnar's STX back up the hill. I didn't enter the really steep slippery section, I tried reversing up from where I was but wasn't comfortable doing that so I tried (and succeeded, carefully) turning the car around.

It wasn't really scary because I didn't push the car anywhere near its limits - but it did make for some fun.

thanks for the pat on the back tony
but its a group effort, always will be
looking through my phone i found a short vid of said hill,taken by garry
you were already at the top and we were getting brad out
how that stx got back up that hill with std road tyres was amazing
well done brad
it doesn't really show how steep it was where we turned around
going further would have been suicide
it was simply too steep and muddy but ide like to get down there again when the track dries a bit

Last edited:
Great day had by all. The boy was a little champion! Thought I was goin to lose a side step a couple of times, left is loose now but still there. My siders will be going on soon hopefully anyway.
Dinner was awesome, rump was a bit bigger then I thought, but was beautiful, becc's cutlets where really good to, think I'll have them if we ever stop again.

thanks for the pat on the back tony
but its a group effort, always will be

It's true that everyone has to cooperate, but being led by someone who not only knows their stuff, but gives consideration to the skills and capabilities of the other drivers & vehicles makes the experience so much more pleasurable.

You have pushed me to expand my boundaries but never to past my limits, allowing me to expand my limits in safety. Mate, that's worth praising.

Latest posts

Back